23: Sister Mary Gets Hit by a Car

I must confess. I had absolutely no idea who the killer could be, but I was determined before the end of the day I would have my answer. It was time I spoke with the most powerful witness of all, God. Sure, I was not expecting a grand voice and a holy light from heaven to pierce the clouds and envelope me in pure rhapsody. Though I would not be opposed to such godly eloquence and ecstasy, I figured my vision would be a bit less a miracle and more like a candy bar loving squirrel or a shifty tilting fat woman on a tall fence. Be it as it may, I half expected God to give me this vision in the form I saw best, utterly bizarre. And in the classic humor of the universe, my prayers were answered immediately with skidding tires and a loud denting thud. Needless to say, I was hit by a passing car.

Deacon Brenner, nervous and late for the funeral service, did not see me crossing the driveway to the back of the house. My sensuous lumps absorbed most of the impact, and I found myself thrown backwards to the darling embrace of azalea bushes. The Deacon lept out of his car to my aid.

"Oh my lord," he cried as I readjusted my habit. "I hit a nun. Mercy, mercy, mercy me. Are you alright, sister?"

I looked up at the gorgeous bald middle aged man looming over me. His silhouette glistened in the treetops. Surely he was an angel of heaven lifting me tenderly in his arms. I could have said anything in that moment such as, 'I'm fine. Thank you. Or, perhaps. Oh, God, my spleen. What the bloody hell you rambunctious twat?' But instead, the words that left my lips were, "Hubba hubba."

"Oh God, I broke her," shouted the Deacon. "Help!"

The assembly of police officers rushed to my side. I milked the attention a little more with another dramatic tumble back into the azaleas, but I was quite alright. Nothing was broken.

"My sincerest apologies, sister," said the Deacon. "I was so worried of being late. Father Blanchard going to jail, me getting called in late, I am a mess." He smiled. "My name is Deacon Brenner."

"Sister Mary, and no worries. I'm incredibly durable." I smacked my stomach.

"Oh thank God."

The casket of Denise Stanton exited the front door and entered the back of the hearse. Deacon Brenner ran towards the coffin.

"Am I that late that I missed the prayer service?"

"Not at all," said Leblanc as his men closed the doors of the hearse. "Quite the opposite. It seems we won't be having a service. At least not today. An urgent matter has befallen the household.

"Oh my, whatever could have happened?"

Investigator Dorsey exited behind the funeral director and whispered into Leblanc's ear. I was close enough to hear a few words.

"We've loaded the bones into the hearse. I don't want this on the front page news tomorrow. Not until we have more information."

"What about the priest?"

"That's fine as long as it doesn't read, Missing Children's Bones Discovered. It would bring panic and harsh judgment from the people. I'll see to it to inform the families involved."

Deacon Brenner stood dumbfounded. He too had been eavesdropping.

"Children's bones?" He whispered. "What on earth?"

"Deacon," said Sergeant Leblanc. "May I ask a favor of you?"

"Yes, of course."

"Please take Sister Mary to the priest's house and let her stay there for the remainder of her stay in town. I don't want her anywhere near the Stanton Manor."

"But, officer, we made a deal." I tapped the tip of my umbrella on his thick shoe. "You said if I provided proof you would let me stay on the case."

"I worry about your safety, Sister Mary. And for that I cannot allow you to continue to stay here. When this gets out, this town is going to go into a frenzy. As far as I see the murderer has been apprehended and this other person you speak of, seems to me a work of fiction. This is no Agatha Christie or Sherlock Holmes story. I've seen plenty of murders in my time to know complex plots of deceit don't happen in real life. This is nothing more than a woman who went on a killing spree and hid the bodies in her flowerbed. And this same woman was the only one unaccounted for when Denise Stanton was murdered. All I need now is a confession. My team is ready to dig up this entire yard to find the rest of those missing children. It's over, Sister Mary. Case closed."

"You're wrong and you know it," I said rubbing my thumb over the carved letters, DT. "I sense doubt in your voice."

"I am sure this time."

"Hmm. Is someone else gonna have to die before you see that Ms. Annette is being set up, manipulated? Have I not provided enough evidence to prove that? This is the work of a psychopath, not a gardener." Sergeant Leblanc stayed silent. "Always doubt. Always expect the unexpected. One finds more answers in questioning the truth, than blindly accepting it."

"Hmpth." Leblanc curled his mustache and dug his heel into the dirt. "I can't believe I have to say this to a nun, but for the last time, stay out of this. Leave the murder case to the police and the investigators."

I knew at that moment, I was alone in this fight. I would have to solve this murder on my own. The police would no longer be any help to me.

"Alright," I said exhaling a deep sigh. "If that is your wish then I will take my leave." By now, Pearl and the other Stanton children rounded the back side of the house. I started to walk to the Deacon's car until Pearl dashed to my side.

"Sister Mary, are you leaving?" asked Pearl.

"I am, but only for a little while. It's Sunday and you know a nun can't miss this holy day to worship." Janet appeared behind her.

"I'll be sure to wash your clothes, Sister," she said. "That way before you leave to New Orleans you'll have a clean first impression for the Poor Clares."

"And we have some spare nun robes at the church," interrupted Deacon Brenner standing near his car. "That is if you are interested."

"I promise to return the dress," I said to Janet with a smile. "Thank you." I leaned over to Pearl and whispered into her ear. "And you promise me to stay safe. Go to your room and keep your door locked. Don't trust anyone."

Pearl nodded.

I raised a hand and waved goodbye. "God bless everyone." I blew kisses.

"Let me get the door," said Michael. He opened the door and I slid into the car. Deacon Brenner started the engine.

"Talk about frightening," he said as we followed the hearse out of the driveway. "Murder, kidnapping, skeletons in flowerbeds. What has happened to our quiet little town?"

I calmly rested my head against the window watching the crowd of people move aside as we exited the gate.

"The devil is alive and well in St. Francisville, Deacon Brenner. And I'm going to be the one to kick him in the arse. Just you wait."