28: Sister Mary Connects the Dots

Sergeant Leblanc came through for me. He scolded Dorsey for his rudeness and finally after the two men finished a heated talk decided to listen to what I had to say. I informed them of a few details surrounding the case. Their jaws dropped as I revealed the details they had missed as well as the ones I had uncovered. When they asked who had killed Denise Stanton and Annette, I promised that answer would arise if all the suspected parties came together. While I could see it in Dorsey's uncomfortable face to know he was bested by a nun new to crime solving, he surrendered his pride and agreed to my demands. I, Sister Mary, had finally been recognized as one of the big boys.

The sun set over the bluff. Shadows stretched across the Stanton's lawn and the sound of insects rattled the air. I sulked around the grounds stopping at the massive hole that once held the prized flowerbed of Ms. Annette. The uprooted flowers lay dying by a mound of turned dirt, a solemn legacy for a woman who tended them with such care. I should have said a silent prayer for the recent departed but a particular mud covered object caught my eye, one I was hoping would be there. It was another valuable clue missed by the police. I suppose if you are on the hunt for bones, other items can easily be overlooked and discarded as worthless. Around the corner I heard the scuffling of boots approach. Leblanc appeared, his face flushed and sweaty.

"Sister Mary," he said with great relief. "I'm glad I found you. Everything is ready. Everyone is seated and waiting in the parlor just like you asked."

"Excellent," I said pocketing the mud covered object. "You have done well, Sergeant Leblanc."

"I still don't understand why you don't just tell us who the killer is so we can arrest them," said Leblanc.

"For being a man in charge of keeping the peace and collecting criminals, you know very little about people and society." A low rumble of thunder echoed in the darkening sky. "The best way to catch a killer who believes they have covered their tracks is to expose every moment they succeeded. Only then will pride flash their face; an involuntary human reaction I plan on exploiting."

"Who are you?" asked Leblanc. "Certainly not a nun. No one thinks like this."

"Hmm," I chuckled. "The best things in life are often the most unexpected. Now, if you please, Sergeant Leblanc," I said taking his hand, "we can begin."

Never in all my days had I felt the power I was feeling at that moment. I entered a silent room. All the members of the Stanton family and their servants turned their heads as I entered. They had no idea it was I who would be the one to end their little charade.

Giles and Susan sat together on the couch with Pearl. Giles puffed on a massive cigar while Susan twisted a loose thread in the couch with her finger. Pearl poured herself a glass of lemonade and filled her plate with biscuits and cheese. By the window Janet stood behind a seated Mr. Baines. Her uncle stared out the window tapping his foot nervously on the carpet nervously. Michael, Gloria, and Brandon leaned against the fireplace mantle sharing cigarettes and joking about how silly everyone was acting. Father Blanchard and Deacon Brenner crouched on the love seat. The Deacon squeezed his thighs anxiously while Father Blanchard had succumbed to the sinful drinking of hard liquor. Finally guarding the doors to the rooms stood Leblanc, Dorsey, and one unnamed officer. I sauntered in wiggling my hips and humming a catchy tune. I had the urge to twirl my umbrella but after my mishap with a vase the other day, I learned such expressions of joy are best left outside. I took a spot in the last empty seat and placed my umbrella over my lap.

"Alright," said the impatient Giles puffing out a cloud of foul smelling smoke. "You got us all here, Investigator Dorsey. Now what?"

He motioned a quiet hand in my direction. I cleared my throat and spoke.