Chapter Two

Because George didn't find anything in the archives, we went out haphazardly. Okay, that's what we always do, but this time we knew almost nothing about our case. When Lockwood finally found a spot where we could get in, it was past midnight.
"Well, I thought that would have been easier," Lockwood moaned.
"What do you think?! This is the tomb of the most famous London personalities!" Panting, I forced myself through the little hole. Since the distance between top and floor was a little higher than I had expected, I landed a little clumsy and painful on my butt.
"Ow!"
Lockwood jumped down elegantly, as expected, and helped me up with a grin on his face
"Don't say anything!" I said while I was knocking the dust off my skirt.
"Come on!", Lockwood whispered in my ear and reached out his hand. Together we crept through the corridors. Lockwood looked, I heard. You could never be safe enough, after all we were in a vault where several dead people lay. After ten minutes we came to a turnoff and after a long period of reflection we decided on the right path.
"I can feel slight signs of malaise," I whispered to Lockwood.
"Yeah, you're right. We should be careful!" Slowly we continued. Lockwood drew his rapier and went ahead. Finally we came to a large, empty room with a small door at the end. I was about to walk out the door when Lockwood suddenly shoved me rudely into a niche.
"Be quiet!" he whispered in my ear
"Lockwood!"
"Psst!"
I was about to say something tacky, but then I heard footsteps and understood. I felt Lockwood's breath on my neck and held my head down. The footsteps became louder and l slowly panicked. I spotted flashlights and hardly dared to breathe... but the guys just passed by us. They apparently had no intention of sneaking up on anything, because they made no effort to be quiet. It wasn't until the footsteps faded away that Lockwood took a step away from me.
"Whew, that was close! Thank God you always wear a dark suit!"
I was struggling for breath.
Lockwood raised an eyebrow:
"Indeed!"
"Who do you think those guys were?"
"No idea."
Lockwood put his rapier back in his sheath. Suddenly we heard a hysterical scream, which sounded awfully similar to Holly's. We turned around. The scream came from the small door where the men had also disappeared. I turned to Lockwood and raised a brow. He nodded and together we stormed to the door. Just before that, Lockwood held me back.
"Please be careful," he said quietly. But before I could say anything back, he put his lips on mine.
"On three?"
I nodded
"One, two..."
"THREE!" I screamed.
Together we jumped through the door, without cover into a room, where the purest chaos reigned...