Chapter 14 (short)

It had been three dawns since Tigerheart died, now, Magicclaw sat in the center of the clearing organizing patrols. Paleshadow was with her, she was the most senior warrior in the clan. So she knew how a deputy should handle things.

"We should send out two hunting patrols, then two border patrols." Paleshadow mewed, "One can do the Darkclan border and the other can do Iceclan." Magicclaw nodded.

"Should we hunt near Sunningstones?"

Paleshadow look thoughtful for a moment then shook her head.

"To dangerous." She replied, then added. "The Cloud Oak should be a good place to hunt, we haven't hunted there for awhile." Magicclaw nodded. As she gathered the cats to tell them their duties, she couldn't help remembering the dream she had the night Tigerheart died.

She thought of the old deputy with a pang, she was the first one to know he had died, Tigerheart came to her in a dream telling her he was dead and that he wanted Magicclaw to become the new deputy. Magicclaw shook her head.

"Okay, Darkfur, you can lead a border patrol on the Darkclan border, take Squirrelpaw and Mouseclaw with you, oh, and Ambermoon." She mewed with a nod of approval from Paleshadow. Magicclaw turned to Moonfur. "Moonfur, take a hunting patrol to the Cloud Oak, take Redpaw with you and any other cat you like."

After she was finished, she decided to join Moonfur's hunting patrol. Looking at Redpaw, she realized that the apprentice must've been with, Spottedheart-the new medicine cat-after her mentor, Starpelt joined the elders den just the day before. Magicclaw didn't think it was a good idea for a warrior apprentice to be working with the medicine cat, but she thought as they headed into the forest, she might want to be a medicine cat.

Redpaw was kind and gentle, but she got the job done, when she wanted cats to leave Starpelt alone so she could rest before she joined the elders, Redpaw made it clear that she would claw anyone's ears off if they came in without permission from Spottedheart.

"Redpaw, what can you sent?" Moonfur asked. Redpaw stopped and sniffed the hair, her white pelt shining in the weak leaf-bare sun, there was a dark red cross shape on her flank, and a pink nose, which she got from her mother, Fallenoak. Redpaw stood still for a few more heartbeats then meowed.

"Mouse, fresh I think, and a stale scent of dog."

Moonfur purred her approval.

The hunting patrol went onward to the Cloud Oak, once they were there Redpaw crouched into a hunter's crouch, and began to creep forward. A mouse was scuffling among the roots of the oak, she crept toward it then pounced, landing on her prey killing it with a single bite to the neck.

Magicclaw watched with approval, Redpaw would make a great warrior, only if she stopped going to the medicine den with every moment she had spared. She shook her head to clear it, if Redpaw really wanted to be medicine cat, why stop her? Yes, Spottedheart had many more seasons ahead of her but would it be too soon to take on an apprentice? Magicclaw remembered Frostpaw, she should be training her apprentice!

I'll take him night training, Magicclaw decided.

They hunted until it was sun-high, they caught a lot of prey. Magicclaw was very impressed at Redpaw's skillful hunting, she would be made a warrior soon.

"We should talk about your apprentice's warrior ceremony." She mewed around a mouthful of fur as she caught up with Redpaw's mentor, Moonfur. Moonfur's pelt fluffed up with excitement, although being one of the most senior warriors, Redpaw was her first apprentice and for her to be praised by the Fireclan deputy must be a big deal for Moonfur, Magicclaw reflected.

The patrol got back to camp as the sun started sliding over the trees, shadows dotted the camp and the patrol deposited their prey on the fresh-kill pile. Magicclaw padded toward Firestar's den, she wanted to talk to her leader about Redpaw, she realized that Firestar was growing old, she winced at the thought of losing her beloved leader, and one of her best friends.

Shaking her head to get rid of the thought, Magicclaw called out a greetings and pushed her way into the den. Firestar was in the den with one of her kits, Leaffeather. Magicclaw tipped her head to them.

"Firestar, do you think Redpaw is ready for her warrior ceremony?" She asked. Firestar looked thoughtful.

"I'll go on a patrol with her and Moonfur, just to see if she's ready. If she's ready, we'll hold her warrior ceremony." Firestar replied, Leaffeather pressed his muzzle against Firestar's side, then with Magicclaw he headed out of the den. Leaffeather looked at Magicclaw, sadness clouding in his gaze.

"You'll make a great leader.." he whispered, his words stung Magicclaw, before she could reply Leaffeather headed to his den which she shared with Crowpool, his head and tail drooping. Firestar's dieing? Magicstar couldn't believe what she was thinking, Firestar was going to be fine!