Chapter 2

Never in my life did I think I'd be walking down a highway with a rifle slung around my shoulder and a dog sniffing ahead for danger. I had my pistol in my waistband, extra insurance just in case. Leaving behind the town was harder than I thought. It solidified what I was doing; leaving America. I'd heard rumors that Canada had been better off then us after the arrival from people traveling north. Relatives they claimed had found safe haven in the cold climate north, something that the angel supposedly didn't like. After the first few, I decided that north was the best bet.

It also meant others would be traveling north as well. I wouldn't have been the only one hearing stories about Canada and the safety it offers. Ever since the arrival, it seemed you had to be more wary of other people then you did angels. 6 months had passed and I hadn't seen one angel. I had seen people kill others over a gallon of water or even a granola bar. At the rate we were going, we were going to kill ourselves off before the angels even got the chance.

Blue's head perked up and he let out a low bark, heading into the forest. I cautiously followed, pulling the rifle off my shoulder. Blue was crouched low, eyes trained on something in the foliage. Kneeling down, I looked into the sight. About 100 meters out was a deer grazing. My finger danced on the trigger, contemplating. A deer would feed both me and Blue for at least a month if we rationed it right, but the logistics of cleaning and smoking the meat, and then carrying it however far until we found a place to hunker down didn't work out. I reluctantly lowered my gun, motioning for Blue to follow me. I'd shoot a deer when we found a cabin farther north.

Fall was almost over, and constant travel through snow and freezing temperatures would take a toll on us. Me and Blue could only last so long before we'd have to permanently stop for the winter. These next few weeks, traveling as far as we could was essential. Then I'd focus on the food situation. For now though, the deer would be plentiful, and as long as we hugged the forest, they'd be an option.

Clouds were churning over head, and before long, the wind was ripping at my clothes. I looked around, searching for a place to rest before night fell. A storm was coming and sleeping in the rain didn't sound too appealing. "Blue, come on," I called, the dog intent on returning to the forest.

A mile farther down the highway, and I smiled. A beautiful SUV sat, pulled over off the main road. I didn't even have to jimmy the door, the car already unlocked. Blue and I hopped in, shutting and locking the doors behind us. I searched the car for a bit, looking for keys and failing to find any. It had 4WD, a big trunk, and possibly even gas in the tank. An idea came to mind as I settled down in the back with Blue. We just might get to have deer meat sooner than I thought. 

***

Second chapter is out! Hope everyone likes it! I'm going to be posting the chapter drafts I have this upcoming week, maybe twice a day, until I run out so that you guys get more to read than just a chapter or two! Thanks for reading!

-Olivia