Chapter 4

It had been a week since I'd gotten to the cabin when everything changed. I should have known it was too good to be true. I was out on the canoe I'd found in the shed when I saw it. A body floating out in the middle of the lake. It was a man, probably in his late 30's, bloated from the death and water. I rowed back to the shore as fast as I could, dragging the canoe back into the shed. Blue, sensing my anxiety, followed me inside after I cut the generator. I locked the door and pushed a desk in front of it, giving me more time if someone decided they really wanted to come in.

I crumpled down onto the floor of the bedroom, trying to calm my breathing. The body couldn't have been older than a few days. Decomposition had barely started. Something was out there, very possibly an angel. There was no visible marks on the body, ruling out any sort of wild animal. I prayed he wasn't alone, that it was an issue with someone he was with, though I knew better.

I was careless since I got here, canoeing and leaving the generator on all the time. There was a good chance that someone else knew I was here. The shotgun I'd found laid across my lap with my pistol gripped tightly in my hand. Blue sat down next to me, his focus on the door. I wouldn't sleep tonight. 

***

Here's the next part! Thank you guys so much for the votes, they mean a lot to me, and I'm glad that y'all are enjoying the story!

-Olivia