Chapter 18

Callis sulked in the corner until her grandmother came in with a large, cherry red storybook. Cal recognised it immediately. It was The Tale of Sophie and Agatha. "Don't tell your mother, okay?" Guinevere whispered. "I thought it might cheer you up." She opened the book and a portal appeared, transporting Callis into the one storybook she was never allowed to read...

Callis was amazed by her mother's story, and confused by the part where Agatha had doubted her role as Queen. Her mother had always seemed so fearless and confident. Perhaps the story had more layers than expected...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You did what?!" Agatha shouted, arriving to check on her daughter, finding her nowhere, and learning that she was in The Tale of Sophie and Agatha, the book she was forbidden to read. Agatha knew what was in the book, and she didn't want her daughter learning about her past. "I thought it might cheer her up," Guinevere answered meekly. "She was depressed. It's not healthy at her age." Agatha was furious. "You deliberately went against my best wishes, and showed her my past? She'll be scarred for life! She'll never look at us in the same way again!" Tedros came in and put a hand on his wife's shoulder. "Agatha, maybe it's for the best. We can't hide it from her any longer." Agatha's face softened. "I thought I could tell her when she was old enough to understand, when she was ready... no, when I was ready. I'm not ready for her to know. Do you know the nightmares I've had, falling asleep to be back at that place, Sophie a witch?" Tedros knew it wasn't the best time, but he chuckled. "Yes, you wake the entire castle up, love." She buried her face in his shoulder and punched him. "We best be getting back now," Tedros said. "Oh, and Mother?" Guinevere turned her head up. "Callis never sees that book again."

Sorry for not updating last week... prodigy again... but in other exciting news, I get to finally see my bestie on Tuesday! I haven't seen her in forever, so I'm super excited.😁😁😁 Also, don't expect an update next week- I'll be at a friend's house. Thanks for reading!!! -Serena Rose🌷