Chapter 4

Three days later
After I finished in packing my things I sat down on my bed. As I opened my book to stay reading I heard my door unlock and someone step in. I looked up and saw a main standing in the door.
"Ms. Daae, I'm Marie. Your personal maid, dresser, and hopefully friend."
"It's very nice to meet you Marie."
I said then put my head down so she wouldn't see my puffy eyes.
"What's wrong madam? Have you been crying? O my."
She rushed to my side and sat down next to me.
"If this was because of Master Destler please don't be frightened. He is very kind, I know it might not seem like that now but if you follow his rules and do what he asks then it will be alright."
"How long have you been here."
"About 15 years."
"You have served Monsieur Destler for 15 years? No offense but how old are you?"
She laughed.
"I'm 25. I'm married and I have a child who helps around here. All of the other maids love him, and Master Destler."
I paused.
"Why don't you call him Monsieur Destler?"
"You are the only one who has been allowed to call him that Madam."
"Why me?"
"I do not know, but knowing Master Destler he most likely has taken a liking to you."
After chatting with Marie for a while she helped me get ready and she left to prepare dinner. I finished reading my book by the time I heard another knock on my door.
I stood up and opened the door.
"Monsieur Destler. Good evening."
I said then curtsied. He was wearing a white shirt with a detailed black vest and his normal black trousers.
"Dinner is ready Christine."
He said with a hint of harshness in his voice.
As he turned I quickly touched his shoulder.
"Monsieur Destler I wanted to apologize for my behavior, I promise it will not happen again."
I felt him tense at my touch. He then turned to face me and I removed my hand.
"I accept your apology Christine. Now let's go have our dinner then start your first lesson."
________________________________
After a very quiet dinner Monsieur Destler lead me to another room. As he opened the door I saw a huge piano, some violins, and music sheets everywhere. I walked in the room and was immediately drawn to the piano.
Erik's POV
As She starts to walk over to my piano and my breath becomes shallow. I know she loves music as much as I do, just by the way she is drawn to my instrument and it's beauty.
"Today we will start your first lesson. I believe that you have a wonderful voice, but it just needs to be trained."
I said walking over and sitting at my piano. She nodded and stood next to me.
"Here begin singing this. Do you know how to read music?"
"Yes Monsieur, my father taught me."
I nodded and began to play.

"Think of me, think of me fondly
When we've said goodbye
Remember me, once in a while
Please, promise me you'll try
When you find that, once again, you long
To take your heart back and be free
If you ever find a moment
Spare a thought for me
We never said our love was evergreen
Or as unchanging as the sea
But if you can still remember
Stop and think of me."

I was stunned by her voice and how it soured.
"It that alright Monsieur?"
She asks me almost nervously.
"Christine that was marvelous. You couldn't have done better."

Christine's POV
I smiled softly and lowered my head feeling my cheeks heat up. I suddenly felt his hand raise my head to face him.
"Christine you are a star. You are an amazing singer."
"Thank you Monsieur."
"Erik."
"What?"
"My name. Call me Erik."
I laughed a little.
"But you just gave me permission to call you Monsieur."
He nodded and smiled.
"Yes I know. But you mean a lot to me Christine and I want to feel more, human, when I'm with you."
He said then started to walk out of the room. I quickly followed him into the parlor.
"What do you mean, feel more human? Are you not human?"
He paused and turned to me.
"Christine I am not human. I am a monster."
"I don't believe that."
I said walking up to him and placing my hand on his cheek.
"No? Do you not remember when I hurt you just a few days ago?!"
He said pulling himself away from me.
"I am a monster Christine. And that will never change."
"No."
"No?"
He said confused.
"I believe that you are human and you have a heart that just needs love. What can I do to make you feel human? How can I please you?"
"Please me? Why on earth would you want to do that?"
"Because I feel a connection between you and me. I believe that you and I have deserved love for so long that now it is calling to us. I want to make you happy as long as I'm here. I know we've just met but I feel like I've know you my entire life."
He paused and walked back to me.
"You can feel that too?"
"Yes. I don't know how but when I touch you I feel like I'm safe."
"You feel safe here? In my home?"
"Yes."
"Christine, may I ask you something?"
"Of course."
"Will you stay here not as a prisoner of part of a deal, but part of my life?"
I paused and looked at him seeing what he may be thinking. Can I trust him?
"Yes."