Chapter 7

Christine's POV
Two days later
Erik was working in his office as I was in the library reading. Suddenly the door bell rang and I got up. One of the maids quickly rushed in front of me and stopped me from leaving the room.
"The Master requests that you do not go into the parlor or his office."
She said almost out of breath.
"Why?"
"He is having a guest over for a very important meeting."
I nodded and sat back down continuing to read my book.

After about an hour I still haven't heard his guest leave. I became frustrated and stood up. I peeked out of the library to see if any maid were in the hallway, then walked down the hall quietly. As I approached the door to the parlor I heard a woman voice. Who is that in there? I put my ear up to the door and listened.

"Erik, our family's wish to join so they have chosen us to do so."
"And what if I refuse?"
"Then my family will make it very hard for you to stay in France."
"Is that a threat Madam Muhlheim?"
"Not by me. But please Monsieur consider this."
"Consider what?! Marrying a woman I do not love is something I refuse to do. Plus I'm..."
As I was listening I saw a spider crawl on my shoulder. I screamed and backed away from the door hiding in a near by room.
"What was that? Is there a woman here?"
"It's probably just one of the maids. Any way.."

What was Erik going to say? Why is a woman wanting to marry him? And why do I care so much about Erik's romantic life?
I walked down the hall and saw something very interesting. The dark room. Erik's room. Erik's room was left open, the only thing to be seen was candle on his desk.
No Christine you can't go in there. You can't do that think of the consequences! But I felt myself drawn to the room almost if it was by instinct. I walked in the room and lit another candle. It was just like every other room. The curtains were black, the bed had gold sheets, and there was a pot of roses on his desk. I looked on his desk and saw many music sheets. One was titled 'learn to be lonely' . I looked across his desk and saw a closed black book. I opened the book to a random page and read.
"Christine. What a wonderful, sweet, innocent name. Ah Christine. How I love her. The way she sings brings me life. But she looks at me with fear, fear of what is to come, fear of what is behind the man, she fears the monster."
As I finished reading I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned quickly around and came face to face with one of the young maids.
"Madam you know you aren't supposed to be here. If you leave now I won't tell the Master. Please hurry he just finished his meeting with Madam Muhlheim."
I nodded and quickly rushed out of Erik's room into mine.
Erik loves me? Erik loves me...
"He loves me!"
I said with a smile.