Chapter eight

Erik's POV

It started one day after the public had visited the freak show and saw me. After that my master decided to beat me because I had said hello to a girl who was looking at me.
"What do you think she'll do?" He shouted as he raised his whip "talk to you? Fall in love with you?" He struck me with the whip. "No, no one would ever love you!"
"M-my Mama did!" I told him
"Your Mama did!" He laughed as if I'd told him a funny joke.
"She did." I said louder.
"You're Mama didn't love you, nobody could. You're just a freak and she would have bought the same!"
I couldn't stand him telling me this about her. He didn't know her and she did not think of me as a freak.
"You are as much a monster in my eyes as you were in hers!" He cried.
At this point I lost it. I stood on my feet and he was rather surprised at how tall I was, after all, I was always on the ground when he'd hit me. I grabbed at his neck and put my hands around it. my grip was very very tight.
"Don't you dare talk about my mother that way!" I shouted.
The colour from the mans face was slowly draining and I let go of him. He dropped to the floor. I stood there panicked for a moment knowing he was dead. I ran for the door but instead ran into a man.
"I-I'm sorry sir.." I hastily apologised.
"It's alright lad." He smiled "you look like you've seen a ghost!"
"I-I think I've killed him" I whispered.
The man looked at me before offering me his hand.
"It's alright. You're safe now. This is noplace for a boy."
I stared at him amazed at his kindness.
"Don't worry. I'll look after you. Nobody needs to know what's happened"
"But-"
"This is no place for you, or anyone. I've heard what an awful place this is, and coming here has confirmed my suspicions. Hopefully someone with sense will shut it down! It's like something from the dark ages, Now please, come with me away from here."
I nodded unsure what to say other than "thank you very much sir"
"Please, call me Gustave. Or if you'd prefer Mr Daae"
I stared at him for a moment
"Gustave Daae? The violinist from the orchestra?"
He smiled "a fan of music I see. I am him yes, but I haven't been performing with the orchestra since my wife passed away"
"I'm sorry.." I said quietly.
"I didn't think they'd let you watch television here." He exclaimed.
"They didn't. I used to watch it with my Mama until..." I trained off and Gustave seemed to understand because he put his hand in my shoulder
"You lost her didn't you? It's an awful shame when that happens. My wife passed away when my daughter was born." He explained.
"My mother got cancer.." I told him wth a nod.
"Well I think that's enough sadness, how about you come with me now and I'll get you some clean clothes and you can take a shower. I'll cook for you, what do you like?"
"A-anything."
I was extremely surprised at Gustave's kindness.
"What is your name?" He asked me.
"Erik."
"Well Erik, things will be alright now." He smiled.