Seven - Magnolia

My heels were clicking against the hard wood stairs as I raced up to meet the guests. I was going to be late. Tardiness is not a presentable quality when making a first impression. My father always told me that a princess must always arrive on time, for being fashionably late is a sign of disrespect. At this rate, I am being incredibly disrespectful.

I grunted under my breath. My father always tells me these things last minute. I am always rushing around at his beckoned call.

I opened the door to the main hall of the castle. There is a red carpet down the centre of the room stretching from my father's throne to the front doors. I run past two pillars and stop in the centre of the room. There is absolutely no one to be seen.

Maybe I am not late. Maybe I am just overreacting again.

I pouted and stomped my foot on the floor. Usually my father would be here waiting for me in his blue cloak and golden crown. He would then give me one of two looks: a neutral glance or a dreadful scowl. It all depends on his mood. This was our conversation yesterday before dinner:

"Magnolia! I am so glad you heard me from upstairs," said he.

"Why wouldn't I, Father?" said I.

"Well, sometimes you do not hear me. Either that or you just simply refuse to listen to me," replied he.

"Must you always assume the worst of me?" said I.

"A true person obeys their elders," said he.

"Have I ever defied you?" said I.

"Not exactly," said he. "However you have said some things to me that I do not appreciate.

"That's because you drive me insane," mumbled I with a scowl.

"Pardon?"

"Nothing, Father!"

I shook the thoughts out of my head. Because we have guests over, I am assuming my father will lay off of me for a little bit. He will be too busy trying to keep casual small talk going with the guests.

I crinkled my nose. The idea of small talk with guests I was never notified about beforehand makes me uncomfortable. Especially if they turn out to be men. The only man I can somewhat communicate with is my father. Also Jake, but he's a special case.

"Miss Magnolia!" a voice calls out to me.

It is the main maid Darcy. She is wearing her usual uniform, which consists of a casual long black dress with a small white apron tied around her waist. Her blonde hair was tied in a long ponytail which rested down her back. She nodded at my dress. I guess that was her way of complimenting me silently.

"Miss Magnolia," Darcy spoke. "I've been looking everywhere for you. The King requests for you to come to the dining hall immediately. You are quite late for dinner. They are standing in there waiting for you."

My lip curled at her words. My father is not going to be happy when he sees me walk in late. It will look disrespectful.

"Thank you, Darcy. We will talk later."

I started to run towards the dining room door on the left side of the main room. The noise of my heels hitting the floor echoed in the air of the spacious hall.

"Be careful, Miss! Those shoes sound risky!" Darcy called out from behind. I ignored her.

I twisted the doorknob hastily. I accidentally swung the door open too harshly, because it hit the wall and slammed back into me. I had tripped over my own foot and landed right on the floor. My arms had buckled on the way down as well.