Eight - Jake

Trust me, I know pain. I lost my mother when you lost your parents. I may not understand the rest of your struggles, but I do know what pain feels like.

Magnolia's words kept rolling through my mind. I leaned my head up against the wall, sitting upon the plushy window seat. The room seems silent and uncomfortable, and the air feels tight around me. Maybe it's because I'm so used to the noise and crowds in the streets.

I sighed. I wonder how Magnolia is doing upstairs.

The strange silence was soon replaced with thumping footsteps heard through the ceiling. I stood up quickly as the door swung open, hitting the wall behind it. A small circular dent from the doorknob peeled off the wall.

I stared at Magnolia in shock. She viciously slammed the door closed again, tears pouring down her cheeks. The princess viciously kicked off her heels one by one; the shoes hitting the wall and falling into a pile in the corner of the room. Her silent tears quickly turned to uncontrollable sobbing once her eyes met mine. Panic rose inside of me. She was a mess.

I knew I had to do something. I approached her awkwardly, peering down at her from my height. She's smaller than I thought without the heels on. She was up to my nose before, but it turns out she only reaches up just past my shoulder.

I tilted my head to the side and frowned. I'm going to start with the basic question first.

"What happened? Are you okay?" I asked. "Oh, and where's my dinner, if you don't mind me asking."

"Alandians are absolutely horrid!" she snapped. "The guests were King Lance Masters of Alandia and Prince Oriel Masters. I cannot believe they -"

"Wait," I interrupted her. "You mean the King of Alandia came to visit? And where's my dinner?"

Magnolia sniffled. "I'll get it later! Anyways, then -"

"No no it's fine. I'll just eat extra in the morning," I replied. "Didn't the King send the Alandian ambush to destroy Urbem and steal money from us?"

"N-no actually, apparently that was just a rumor," Magnolia replied hastily. "But everything just came crashing down in my mind...and I thought -"

"Hey calm down," I consoled her. She broke down into tears, unable to continue speaking. I stood in front of her cautiously, not exactly knowing what to do at this point. I've never experienced someone this upset before.

Magnolia's hands were shaking as she buried her face into them. I scratched the top of my head in silence. The only calming tip I remember is what my father used to do with my mother when she was upset. He would sit her down in a comfortable area, usually the couch in the living room. Then he would talk things through with my mother carefully while holding her hand as she cried.

Am I willing to do the same thing to help Magnolia? Not too sure about that. I've only known Magnolia for about a week, after all. But I am worried about her, so what the hell can I do to show it?

An idea popped into my head. I gently put my hand on her shoulder and cautiously led her to the window seat.

"Maybe you should sit down," I stuttered awkwardly.

Magnolia sat down on the window seat and roughly yanked out the massive hair clip that was holding her hair up in place. Her long hair fell down past the sides of her face, forming two thick curtains over her face. An angry sigh escaped her.

"So," I started off. "What's the truth behind the ambush?"

Magnolia sniffled again and fidgeted with her hair clip. "It turns out the King and his son had nothing to do with the ambush," she muttered. "It was only one citizen that wanted more money, so they decided to spread the word of a money hunting riot."