Chapter 25: Red Dahlias

Qotd: No matter how much I hide and conceal it, I can't erase it.
▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

The sweet aroma of hot chocolate and coffee spread throughout the apartment as we indulged in being baristas.

"The medicine didn't help."

"Tell me about it." She said as she placed the coffee filter.

"I took the medicine; my eyelids start to feel heavy. But before I could black out, I heard inaudible mutterings when I focused, they said 'It was always you' what does this mean?" I asked.

"Did you have nightmare?" The curiosity was prominent in her voice.

"Yes. And it was very different." I paused, waiting for her signal to let me continue. "This time, I was with Dahlia. Instead of her blue locks. H-her hair was red. Like almost burgundy. I don't know what's that supposed to mean.

"The crash still happened and this time, I was the one stuck. I tried to get out or at least push Dahlia out but nothing happened. She just stared at me, doing nothing to help me. And then she said that I deserve to know what it feels like?

"That being said, she left and the car exploded resulting in me waking up. I instantly threw up my dinner." I explained to her.

"Hmm. Burgundy Dahlia." She tapped her chin while thinking about it.

"How long did you sleep?"

"Probably 4 hours." I said contemplating my answer.

"That's good. Your body did need some rest. You know you can't just overwork your body. Keep sleeping from time to time." She explained to which I just nodded my head silently.

"And you have something going in your mind. Shoot." I was surprised by her statement but then I remembered that she is a psychology major.

"I was wondering that why is my brain disturbed by these nightmares even though it literally created them." I looked her in the eyes.

"Your nightmares aren't just normal nightmares. Your nightmares are based on a trauma from your past." She paused. "I need you to open up to me. So that I can help you. Start with that red-haired girl from your dreams."

***

Telling Liz all about Dahlia felt nice. She told me to bring her over sometime. I have a shift at the pet store tonight and that's exactly where I was heading to when I bumped into Dahlia.

I was reminded of my nightmares again. I've been trying to avoid Dahlia but seeing her with almost burgundy hair caused me to freak out.

"Hi." She was cheerful as usual. Seeing that I didn't reply she asked "What's wrong?" I simply shook my head.

"I'm headed to the pet store, wanna come?"

"Can't, I'm busy." She was about to walk away when I tried to grab her wrist but she was fast enough to whip her hand out of my grip.

"Uhh. I was asking if you're free tomorrow? I want to take you somewhere."

"Of course. I'll wait for you at the bus stop near your house."

I had to rush inside because I could see Dave furiously looking at me through the glass store door. I speed-walked inside.

"What were you doing?" Dave questioned with a pointed look.

"Uhh- I-i was talking to m-my." I cleared my throat. "I was talking to Dahlia." I said with confidence.

"What? But there was-" Dave was cut off as Rafe came in also late.