Chapter 1

« Beyoncé »

I'm home.

After twelve amazing years of deployment in the military, stationed in Okinawa, Japan, I'm finally back in the states. Just to see the city at night below me is just so beautiful and bringing back so many memories.

Japan has been good to me. I've met so many friends, learned so many lessons, eaten some amazing and crazy ass foods, and most importantly I did it all with my most prize possession, my son, Quincy. He and I have been close since the beginning.

As soon as I left for deployment, I found out I was pregnant with him. I was five months and barely showing by the time I got to my first appointment. It was too late for an abortion, not that it ever ran across my mind, but I just didn't have a lot of time prepare and tell my family. I ended up telling no one but my little sister, Solange. I didn't even tell his father.

I know I'm stupid for not telling his father or even my Mom for that matter, but I plan on doing it as soon as I get home. I expect my family to be really upset considering I kept him away from them for twelve years. I deserve whatever they say or do, but they'll never know why I did what I did unless they were in my position.

"All passengers please buckle your seatbelts. The plane will be landing momentarily."

I snapped me and Quincy's seatbelt just before we landed. He was still knocked out. I knew the jet lag was gonna hit me and him hard these next couple of days.

After a thirteen and half hour flight, we finally made it. I checked my phone. It was 9:58 PM. I texted my little sister, Solange.

 I texted my little sister, Solange

"Come on baby!"

I guided him off the plane and into the airport. He ran to the bathroom while I waited for our suitcases. I looked around for Solange.

"Mom, Auntie is over there." He pointed.

"You see her? Grab your stuff."

We headed in her direction. We both smiled big when we came eye to eye. I jogged towards her, attacking her in the most genuine manner. I promised myself I wouldn't cry, but they were coming.

The last time I saw Solange was when Quincy turned five. I would send her pictures and videos all the time plus the FaceTime calls, but those will never make up for not physically seeing each other. My other family, in the other hand, hasn't seen me since I left....twelve years ago.

"How are you, Thu?"

"I'm great!"

"Well, you look great! The military has done you hella justice. God damn." She said checking me out.

"Thank you!"

"Nephew, how you doing?" She smiled at him.

"Good! And you?" He spoke, hugging her.