Chapter 4

Jacob knocked on the door with a shaky hand. He hoped his Dad remembered that Mark was coming after school. The door opened. "Hola mijo." His dad greated without much enthusiasm. "Oh you must be Mark. It's nice to meet you."

"¡Hola señor!" Mark said.

Jacobs dad laughed a little. "There is no need for you to speak Spanish. I need the practice. You can call me Mr. García."

He checked his watch and let the kids inside.

"I will be working in the kitchen If you need anything. But I'll be on calls so don't be too loud. Have fun."

The boys walked up stairs to Jacob's room. Mark sat on the bed while Jacob found a seat at his desk. "So," he began. "Why are you so nervous about Spain?"

"I'm not nervous about Spain but I am scared of planes. I've never been on one before but I've heard enough to make me not want to go on one."

"Oh, planes aren't too bad. There may be some turbulence and the occasional crying baby but other than that it's rare for something bad to happen. Plus if it's a red eye plane like the one we will probably have to go on, we sleep through the whole ride."

Mark still didn't look so sure. "If I go, can I sit next to you on the plane? Alex wouldn't let me hear the end of it if she saw me freak out."

Jacob sat next to him on the bed. "Of course I will! It will be fun, I promise. I can bring cards or a small puzzle so we can have something to do! Oh, I can also download a movie on my phone so we can watch that!"

Mark smiled a bit. "Thanks." His phone rang. "Oh, sorry I need to take this."

After he hung up, he looked at Jacob with a sheepish expression.

"Um, Do you think it would be ok if I stayed the night? My Dad had some painters come to the house and the fumes are pretty bad. He can bring my things"

Jacob blinked and thought for a second. "Well, I would have to ask my dad but it's ok with me. I'll be right back."

"Ok. I'll be here."

Jacob went down the stairs and found his dad making snacks. "Papá?"

His dad turned to face him. "Yes? Is something wrong?"

"Oh, no. Well, kind of. Mark needs to stay over because his house was painted and the fumes are bad."

He saw his dad's face change into a scowl and braced himself. He was surprised when his dad took a breath and said, "He can stay. Will someone be dropping off his stuff?"

"Yes, his dad."

"Ok, I'll watch the door for him. Mr. Evans is it?"

"That's him."

"Thank you. You go have fun now."

Jacob was about to go upstairs but he stopped himself. "Uh, Papá?"

"Yes?" Jacob didn't hesitate. He didn't know whether he would get another chance like this. He ran up to his dad and hugged him tight. "Thank you." He said.

His dad's eyes burned as he hugged him back. He patted his head. "Go have fun mijo."

Jacob looked at him and wiped his eyes. "O-ok." He ran up to his room.

Mark saw Jacob's watery eyes and jumped up from the bed. "What happened?!"

Jacob beamed. "I did something I haven't done in a while."

"That doesn't explain why you're crying."

"Heh it's fine. What to you want to do? I've got board games."