Chapter 10

He wasn't moving. Silent tears were streaming down his cheeks as he stared at the stone. This was it. This was the surprise. The lit candles were that placed close to the grave gave of thin wisps of smoke that curled and floated off into the starry night sky. Beautiful marigolds covered the grass and seemed to flow outward, making a short path to where he stood. He wanted to see her walk along that golden path. He wanted to see her bright smiling face, her paint covered jeans, her chocolate brown hair and eyes. Just once. That was all he needed. He wondered if that could actually happen, seeing her once again. If he did, what would he say? What would he do? Would she be proud of him? Would she like the new life he had? He tried imagining what it would be like if she never left but stopped when the knot in his chest got too tight. Two bodies separated by dirt and wood never seemed so far apart. Time felt slow as his legs moved on their own. He walked to mark, looked him in the eye and made his lips form the words "Thank you."

Jacob realized then, that he had another family. A new family. It could never replace the one he had or the part he had lost, but he had it. His mother would have been happy for him.