Chapter 7

October. The month when people dress up with friends, gather candy, and just have fun. Jacob is not one of those people.

"Aren't you excited about halloween?" Mark asked him at lunch.

Jacob stabbed his food with his spoon. "I don't even want to think about this stupid month."

"Wow, ok. Is something wrong?" Jacob wouldn't look at him

"C-can we talk about it later? I don't feel comfortable here."

"Sure. If you want you can come over to my place we can talk there. My sister will be at dance class and my mom will be picking her up so we'll have the house to ourselves."

"Ok, thanks."

"No problem, now eat your food."

"Pfft, ok!" Jacob ate a spoonful of his rice.

"I mean it! Last week you had a slice of bread!"

"I was tired and I slept in on accident. I didn't have time to make a good lunch."

"Excuses, excuses. Oh, I forgot to ask yesterday. How was your lesson?"

"It was better than I thought."

"Ha! See, what did I tell you?"

"I know, I know."

Their conversation was cut short by three loud beeps. Then three more. Jacob was getting anxious while they repeated over and over. Mark and Jacob, along with the rest of the kids in the cafeteria, got up.

A voice on the loudspeaker said, "Everyone, an intruder has entered the building. He was last seen by the library and he could possibly be armed." It was the principle and his shaking voice didn't keep the kids calm at all.

The library was just around the corner. Jacob didn't hesitate. He started barricading the doors with the tables with a few others. More people started helping and before they knew it everyone was huddled in the kitchen area since it didn't have any windows and the doors could be locked from the inside. After he was sure that the intruder couldn't get in, Jacob sat next to Mark on the floor shaking.

He tugged on marks sleeve. "No me gusta el sonido." ( I don't like the sound.) He whispered.

"Lo sé, a mí tampoco." (I know, I don't like it either.) Mark said as he patted Jacobs shoulder in sympathy.

Jacob held his hands over his ears. "Ruidoso." (Loud)

Mark was really worried now. "Lo sé..." (I know).

A girl smacked Mark's shoulder telling him to be quiet so, he went back to comforting his friend silently.

Some time passed and there was a knock on the door. Jacob jumped and covered his mouth. The lunch ladies grabbed frying pans just in case. Everyone begun to notice the sudden silence. The alarm had finally stopped. Jacob seemed to relax a little but he still kept a tight grip on Marks arm.

There was another knock. Everyone was clinging to their friends. Even the jocks sat close together. The lock clicked and the door swung open. It was a policeman. All of the students let out a massive sigh of relief.

"It's safe," He said. "The criminal has been caught but we believe he had other people with him. Stay here for a little while longer. Oh, you're allowed to talk and move around but if the alarm starts again keep quiet. We'll come to get you when it's time to evacuate the school. Stay safe everyone." He closed the door and the Lunch ladies locked it again. It was a long day.

The entire school was evacuated after a hour or so of waiting. Jacob followed Mark to his house. He wasn't looking forward to explaining things to his friend but he would have to do it at some point right?