Chapter 9: Conclusions and Questions

Within a few weeks, Haven had finished all four of the books out at the time and taken pictures of all the important illustrations. Most of the works' contents hadn't been about the Fearlings at all but rather their leader, his enemies, and their conflict. However, it had given her a helpful insight into what the dark creatures were.

She looked forward to next Wednesday, when she would be able to tell the others what her sister had discovered.

*}{/*}{/*}{/*

Matt didn't really care about Haven's whole friend disagreement. He didn't think he needed companions as much as she did since he was introverted and therefore relied on different forms of entertainment. However, he did have to admit that he was lonely, not that he would ever confess that to her face. Anyway, he had still followed through with his plans to not go to Homecoming a couple weeks ago.

He continued walking to his Grandpa Sloan's house to get together with the others. It was time for their normal once-a-week meeting.

By the time he made it, everyone else had already arrived, Haven looking particularly excited and hiding something under her dark pink jacket, so they began the trek down to the cave.

"I don't know how much longer we'll be able to meet out here," Duran said. "It'll be getting pretty cold soon."

"We could meet in my grandpa's house," Matt suggested. "He wouldn't mind us talking about the shadow spirits, and he wouldn't tell on us."

A chilly breeze blew through Garvit's curly red hair. "Why didn't you say so earlier?"

"Are you sure he wouldn't tell?" Angelia asked Matt.

"I'm sure," the dark-haired boy replied. "He's never told before. And he doesn't try to persuade me that they're not real, unlike the rest of my family."

"I wish I had someone like that," Angelia said. "Haven, what are you hiding in your coat?" The blonde grinned.

"I'll show it to you once we arrive. It's going to change everything."

"How so?" Garvit inquired. Haven smirked.

"You'll see."

When they got to the ravine, they all made their way down. It was getting more and more difficult to descend each week, with the ground hardening from the cold. Haven almost fell like the first time because of insisting on keeping whatever it was hidden.

They entered the cave once more, and it fortunately provided a bit of shelter from the wind. Haven then pulled out what looked like a small novel with shiny yellow designs on it, waving it around.

"My nine-year-old sister figured out what the shadow spirits actually are. They're called Fearlings. She showed me this book series that has them in it. Look!" She took out her phone and showed them a picture on the screen. "Don't you think this looks like them?"

Angelia's light brown eyes widened, and Garvit leaned forward, squinting.

"And where did your sister get this?" he asked.

"In her school's library," Haven responded. When no one said anything, she continued. "The Fearlings are led by a man they possessed called Pitch, and he turned children into more of them while out in space, where he lived. I'm not actually sure where the first Fearlings came from; it didn't say. But I'll skip a lot of details and just go right to that Pitch was forced down to Earth, and he was unconscious until he was accidentally woken up. He tried to cause more fear, but a group of people called the Guardians was eventually gathered to stop him and the Fearlings."

Garvit raised his eyebrows, skeptical. "If this is true, Haven, then why aren't the Guardians helping you, Angelia, and Matt? Wouldn't they try to protect you from their enemies?"