Chapter 16: The Origins of the Fearlings

"Do you think you could sneak out to Matt's grandpa's house tonight?" Angelia asked Haven as they sat down in the former's blue car after going back to get their things.

Haven shook her head. "I tried last night, but it didn't work. I could technically try again, but my parents might be suspicious of me now. I'm not sure if they know who woke them up or not."

"Darn. 'Cause I really think you need to be there, with this whole threat thing and all."

Haven nodded. "Yeah." The two buckled their seat belts, and Angelia pulled out of the nearly-empty school parking lot. "I...have an idea I want to share," Haven then said, "but I need to check the cave first to see if it's even possible."

"Is it a good idea?"

"Very. I also need to return the book I borrowed, anyway." A couple seconds passed where nobody spoke.

"So, how long are you grounded?" Angelia then asked. "If I had a Christmas party for the L.E.R., would you be able to come?"

Haven nodded and laughed at Angelia being worried about such a thing so early. "Yeah, as long as I don't get grounded again. I'm only grounded for two weeks from yesterday. My parents are keeping my phone right now, too, so tell Matt not to try to text me."

"Will do," Angelia said. "This is your street, right?"

"Right," Haven replied. She paused. "It's weird how the Fearling referenced 'the Guardians' war' when the Guardians defeated Pitch probably not too long ago. He can't be back again already."

Angelia shook her head. "Unless...Duran made me watch the movie while we were in separate groups, and like he said before, no Fearlings were ever in it. So maybe that means they didn't lose power when Pitch was taken down...?"

Haven frowned. "That wouldn't make sense, though. Pitch's possessed by Fearlings. If he lost power, so would they, at least the many that are in his soul. But we've been attacked since maybe before the latest war between him and the Guardians...so maybe there were some who were just assigned to us no matter how much power they had?"

"I don't know." Angelia pulled into Haven's driveway. "I can take you home tomorrow, too, and tell you what we talked about during the meeting if you can't be there."

"What time will it be at?"

"Five."

"Oh. I probably won't be able to make it, then. My parents will definitely still be awake." Not that she had thought the meeting would be after they were asleep, but she had just wanted to make sure.

"Oh well. See you tomorrow!"

"Bye!" Haven gave a little wave as she got out of Angelia's car and went through the front door of her house.

"You're home early," her dad commented.

"A friend decided to drive me home," Haven said.

"How nice." Her dad paused for a second. "Your mom and I have decided you're ungrounded. Your friend Allison told her that hanging out with Matt makes you feel safer. You should've just told us. We thought you and he would have more problems with each other, not make yourselves better."

"I didn't think you'd listen," Haven said, although her heart swelled with happiness. "You never listen to me."

"We didn't know you felt that way," her dad said. "Your mom and I will try harder to listen from now on. Here's your phone." He handed it to his daughter.

"Thanks, dad!" Haven gave him a quick hug and then ran upstairs to her room. She took out her phone and saw Matt's messages from yesterday.

"Do you think you could get someone to give me a ride tonight?" she texted back.