Chapter 22: The Hunt

"They're everywhere. Always." Garvit's eyes darted around Matt's grandpa's living room as he said this. His psychological state was getting worse every week. "I can hear and sense them, but they don't attack. They're watching us. Making sure we don't try anything."

Haven watched Matt rolled his eyes. Of all people, Garvit seemed the least likely to panic. They would've suspected Angelia to do such a thing, but she was fine for the most part. Fear looked odd in Garvit, a bit ridiculous even. Contradictory to his usual logical air.

"I wouldn't say they're everywhere," Haven said. "But I can also tell they're there at least a few times a day."

"But not at night," Matt said. No, never at night. The dark skies had been far too cloudless lately for that.

"For now," Garvit said. Angelia nodded. "And the plan's not working." The Fearlings even still carried metal weapons, surprisingly.

"We should hunt them down," Haven said. "We can't just wait around while they cage us in." Garvit's hazel eyes grew wide, and Duran made to speak.

"But that would put us on the offensive!" the redhead said before the other guy could say anything. "They would be on the defensive and..."

"Haven's right," Matt interrupted. "With Pitch still low on power, supposedly, there has to reach a point when there aren't enough strong Fearlings to come after us, and we'll be safer."

"Until we lure out their leader," Garvit said. "When there aren't enough soldiers, the big guy comes out."

"That's not how a war works," Matt said, shaking his head. "When there aren't enough soldiers, the army retreats. The leader isn't stupid enough to face the enemy on their own."

"Maybe for humans, but Pitch is much stronger than any of his soldiers alone," Garvit said.

"When he actually has power," Haven pointed out. "And it'll take at least hundreds of years for that to happen again."

"But what about the nightmares?" Garvit asked. "If Pitch isn't gaining power quicker than that, then why do the nightmares get worse so fast?"

"Because of his Nightmares," Haven replied simply. "They're independent of him."

"Are you sure?" Duran asked with a frown.

Well, no, Haven wasn't completely sure, but she was close enough to sure that it wouldn't count as lying, right?

She nodded. "Yes, I'm sure. If they weren't independent of him, why did they take him down at the end of the movie events?" She was more trying to convince herself of this than Duran.

"Just because they're not loyal doesn't mean they aren't still a representation of his power level," Garvit said.

"I still think we should try," Angelia said. "The hunting, I mean." If anything, the nightmares and frequent presence of Fearlings had been making her braver, contrary to her behavior when they had attacked almost every day.

Matt nodded.

"They won't just leave us alone even if we don't do it."

Duran frowned. "But what if it makes things worse?"

Matt looked him in the eye. "What more could they possibly do?"

Duran remained silent for a few seconds before speaking. "I guess you're right." Garvit's eyes expanded with horror.

"And we can wear my shirts!" Angelia said before he could protest.

*}{*}{*}{*

After school the next day, the five L.E.R. members came to Matt's grandpa's house with the special shirts on (although wearing them was kind of pointless since it was still cold enough that they had to wear coats over them). Haven was a bit surprised that Garvit had even shown up today because of how he had been acting, but she was grateful that he had. Five people were stronger than four.