Chapter 13: The Room

When they got back to Grandpa Sloan's house, Duran carefully laid Haven down on the couch and set the scythe on the dining table. Leg leaped up to sniff it, and Matt walked over to stroke his fur.

"Where did that come from?" Grandpa Sloan asked, looking up from his book in the chair by the crackling fireplace at the weapon.

Matt shrugged. He didn't know. "Haven found it, and I think she's too tired to talk right now. She probably had to run a lot to find us."

"What happened to her?"

"She fought off all the Fearlings with the scythe. They had swords."

Grandpa Sloan frowned as he peered through his glasses at all the tears in Haven's clothing.

"I found the scythe...in the cave," she breathed. "I...asked it for...help."

So there were weapons in the cave.

"We should go try to ask it for more," Matt said.

Duran shook his head. "Not tonight. We should wait until morning. The Indicator was glowing for a reason. We don't know what it is yet, but we should stick together, just to be safe."

"I only have one extra bedroom," Grandpa Sloan said.

"We could sleep out here in the living room," Angelia pointed out.

Grandpa Sloan nodded. "True."

Haven took her phone out of her pocket and slowly typed out a text.

"I need...to ask my mom..."

"You do that," Duran said, seeming to have taken a sudden favor of her, but she frowned.

"My parents...are going to kill me when...they see my clothes and find out it's from my...'hallucinations'."

"We can go shopping in the morning," Angelia said.

"I don't have any...money with me."

"I'll pay," Grandpa Sloan said. "And speaking of which, what kind of pizza should I order? None of you have had dinner yet, have you?"

Haven smiled as the rest of the teenagers started shouting out their favorite pizza toppings. It was eventually decided that they would get one pepperoni and olive pizza and one that was just plain cheese. Matt went to the kitchen and got a couple of bags of potato chips out while they waited, and Grandpa Sloan went to his room.

"Are you okay?" he then asked Haven, walking over to her. She still hadn't gotten up yet.

"Yeah," she replied. "It still...it hurts to breathe. And everything's on fire."

"You must've run a long way," Matt said with a nod, then paused. "Can I look at your scythe?"

"Sure," Haven responded. Matt carefully lifted it off the table and away from Leg. "The button...makes it retract."

"Noted." He pressed the blue button, and it in fact snapped back inside the cylinder in the middle with a jolt. He then ran his fingers along it. It was a smooth metal of a nearly-white silvery color, and it shimmered slightly when it caught the light.

Garvit peered at it and held out his hand. "Can I see that?"

Matt made a face. "You already have the Indicator."

"So you're letting me keep it?"

Matt glared. "No, but you don't need to be looking at two things at the same time."

"I'm not looking at the Indicator right now. It's in my pocket."

"But the scythe is Haven's."