8

SALWA

"Mama Atika" I called out, looking everywhere from the living room to mama Atika's room, to toilets but i couldn't find her anywhere. I just felt the need to talk to her, I needed a shoulder of a mother to lay my head on, and a lap to cry on.

"Mama..." i was about to call out again when she heard mama Atika's voice coming from the backyard, i couldn't hear what she was saying but hearing her voice made me release a relieved breath i had no idea was stuck.

I started towards the kitchen door that was linked to the backyard, my pace increasing as if mama Atika would disappear if i slowed down for a second. I wanted to ask what was going on, or why everyone was so busy.

"Mama Atika, I've been looking for you all over the house. I thought you've gone out somewhere" my voice came out distressed which caused mama Atika to look at me in alarm, she knew that was not how my voice normally sounded.

She came and took my hand in hers, leading me back inside the house and then to her room. She made me sit down on her bed, and sat down next to me, still holding my hand in between her own.

"I've been waiting for you to come back, you father has been waiting also." She talked in her usual soothing voice, a motherly kind of voice that calms your nerves down. "Have you eaten?" She asked gently, but what baffled me was the fact that she did not let our eyes meet, she kept shifting her gaze whenever I tried looking at her.

"I just got home Mama. The house is up and alive, or should I say busy? Are we expecting guests?" I asked curiously, holding my own worries and folding them, and throwing them to the back of my mind.

"Yes, your father is expecting some really important guests. He's in his living room, I think he would like to see you now. Let him now you're back?" Mama Atika, I'd be a fool if I didn't understand that it was more than that, so much more than that. I knew her mama Atika all too well for that.

"I'll go then, but I'm really really hungry. Is there any food in the kitchen?" I asked, and I was genuinely hungry. She smiled knowingly "There's always something in the kitchen, just that the food is for our guests, but I can spare a plate for my favorite girl" Mama Atika knew me so well, especially how to get a smile out of me. I thanked her and left to my father's parlor, my heart beating a little slower for no reason in particular.

A was walking when u heard a voice, talking about a wedding, my heart slipped at the mention of the word but I didn't dwell on it. I kept walking, I could see the door but the blinds where let down. I reached and said a salam, thinking that was the slowest my heart could ever beat. He answered, asking me to go in, so I did.

I walked inside to where he was sitting with on leg on the other, wearing very brightly white Shadda that shone, with a golden brown embroidery on it. He looked younger than his years, and very charismatic. I sat down next to his leg, "Good evening Abba" I greeted with head bowed in regard. "Evening, my little lady" He answered with a smile, putting his hand forward and patting my head affectionately. It was our thing. Whenever he did that I feel like a child all over again, like his little girl.

"How is work?" That was an unusual question, but I answered him anyway "Alhamdulillah Abba, I just got back" I added.

"I'll go back inside and freshen up" I started getting up but he stopped me, "Actually, I've been waiting for you to get back. Did Atika not tell you that we're expecting some important guests?" I had no idea why my heart skipped at the mention of the guests, but I nodded, having no words to say.

"I need you to get ready because they are really important people, and as my only daughter you're supposed to be here when they arrive. They'll be here in two hours. I suppose that would be enough for you to get ready, no?" That business voice, he was using the professional voice on me. I looked up and saw him waiting expectantly for my answer.

"Yes father, I'll get ready before they arrive." I answered, picking myself up and said told him I was going to get ready.

"Well then.." He dismissed me and took his phone out of his pocket, pressing some bottons and putting it on his ears. I left the parlor, but his deep laughs could be heard from where i was.

Nothing like that had ever happened, my dad only used the voice when we're in the office. It confused and cared me why it came out now. I had no idea what to expect, and the fact that mama Atika did not think of telling me, I knew better than to ask her.

I went back inside but did not bother to look for mama Atika, because I knew she might be busy putting things together for the guests. I slipped into my room, my whole body felt withdrawn. I took off my heavy abaya and got into the toilet to take a shower, after taking a very long almost twenty minutes shower, letting the hot water wash off the terrible feeling that blanketed my whole body. The hair on my body stood on edge, and my fingers looked wrinkly, like they've been inside the water for hours.

I already prayed my second obligatory prayer, which was zuhr, before I left the office. I made another ablution, with the intention of praying two rakaats, hoping it would ease up my nerves.

I brought out an Ankara gown, dark blue colors with black drawings, and luckily, I had a black veil that would go perfectly with it. I put it on, looking at myself in the mirror, how much the color complemented my skin, like it was made especially for that purpose alone.

I tied my head tie perfectly, shifting it back to exposing a bit of my hair. I looked exquisite, even without putting on make up, but I had to put on atleast kohl, and a bit of lip gloss. After I was done, I put on my musky perfume and put on my hijab to pray. Realizing that I had to tie my head tie all over again made me groan, it looked good, and I had no idea how to pull of another one.

After praying the two rakaats, that undoubtedly took my mind off the thousand of thoughts racing within it's walls, I head out to the living room.