Fire

"I'm human, as you are, l swear." Axel pleads me to believe him. I raise my eyebrow at him in disbelief. "Prove it to me that you are." I say.

Axel sighs as his gaze sinks to the floor. "I can't. You'll just have to trust me."

I think about his words for a moment, my scepticism starts to drift. He's not the only one that's asked me to trust in them. This time, I will. I give Axel a small smile and place my hand on his swollen leg.

Axel looks as if he's about to ask a question, but holds back when he sees my magic begin to work.

The unfamiliar golden glow spreads across his wound. I check to see if it tries to reach for his heart, but it stays in one spot. Once it is finished, I look back up at Axel, who doesn't seem surprised at what I just did.

"I knew there was a reason why we're here..." He says, looking at his fully recovered leg in a daydream. I smile at him and say nothing. He looks at his leg, and then at me.

"There's someone I need to... talk to." He says. Before I can ask him who and why, he gets up off of the ground and sprints to the door. His gun firmly held in his hand.

I feel like screaming the word traitor in his face. I knew I shouldn't have trusted him. What was I thinking?

Getting up and running after him isn't one of the greatest... or safest idea, but I do it anyway.
"Axel wait!"

Axel turns around and sees me, only to run faster towards his destination, turning a tight corner.

I follow him as best I can with a turning stomach. I doubt a human washing machine could help Axel, or.. whoever needs help. The man with the gun, or the one that's about to witness it.

After a while of running, I realise I'm not alone. The sound of miniature footsteps echo from close behind me, followed by heavy breathing. I try my best to ignore them along with the sound of my own heart leaping out of my chest.

Axel comes to a halt mid-way to his destination and turns around to face me. "Go to your room, make sure no one is with you, find a safe place to hide, and lock the door." He growls at me.

I try to protest but he catches my words before they come out of my mouth. "Now!" He yells at me. I jump out of my skin and run, I run as fast as I can back to my dorm. This time, the small footsteps have vanished.

————————————————————————

Axel:

This is madness, absolute madness. I was prepared to be swept off my feet in a strange orb but I didn't know this was part of the job. Saving my enemies life is not exactly what I had in mind.

I'm part of a secret agency working to defeat this strange... rebellion thing. It's not like I had a choice. People from the outer provinces are treated like trash. On my first day in battle I remember seeing the rebellion leader face to face, that hideous scar is hard to forget. He's younger than me though. Which is weirder.

My entire family was killed and he was left wounded. I saw the machine parts replacing his body and despite him kinda killing all my relatives, I decided to help him. I mean hey, if I died I might as well have done it with a clean conscience. What did I have to lose?

I remember the look he gave me that night, I'll never forget it. His eyes were green with utter hatred for 'my kind'. He said that he wanted to kill me and a bunch of other nasty stuff that made me want to leave him there to die. But for some reason, I didn't.

After taking him to some place safe where the rain wouldn't get us (did I mention there was rain before?), he got knocked out cold. When he woke up it was like he was a completely different person.