Stars

Nameless:

I circle my sofa for what seems like hours. Nothing could possibly calm me down right now. My heartbeat is going wild. 'Why did Axel tell me to lock myself in?'
'Am I in danger? Is everyone ok?'

Questions raid my mind in an endless repetitive beat. I carry Jasper in my arms, I've made sure to keep him close at all times. It sounds pathetic now that I think about it. My closest friend is my cat.

In fear, I search the kitchen for a weapon, something that might come in handy. I open every draw only to be disappointed. All the sharp objects have disappeared. Plates and bowls cover the countertop the more I search for something dangerous to use.

Bursts of purple and blue thrive from the delicately wrapped flowers resting on my coffee table. A note wrapped in lace pokes out of the stems with rough, slanting letters. I carefully peer at them as if they're a potential death trap. No one would ever buy me flowers, and the biggest question is how they got here.

The letter has the word 'Nameless' on it's envelope in large, blocky printed font.

Suspiciously, I slide the piece of paper out of it's fancy wrapping, and unfold it gently. The writing inside was written by hand,

Dear Nameless

Hi, I guess. I just wanted to say that I'm
Extremely sorry for the argument. I know
Little about you, and I feel bad about that.
Please accept these flowers as a gift.

- Fenix

Something about this letter is terribly wrong. I study it carefully and try my best to point out errors. I drop the letter and keep searching for a weapon.

After finding nothing, a strange sent wavers through the room, exhaustion washes over me like a tidal wave. 'I have to find Fenix.' I think to myself. The smell of lavender and chocolate fills my lungs, every one of my limbs feel like they're chained to the floor. I drag my feet to my bed, and let a yawn escape my chest. 'Just... a short... nap...'

I have barely enough strength to peel the covers away from my mattress.
The words in the letter circle my mind over and over again. Certain words begin to stick. 'Hi... extremely... little... please...'

Silver glints on my mattress like stars. "So pretty..." I want to fall into them, into another world far from here, way up in the sky. I begin to giggle at myself for no reason and trace my finger across one of the stars.
'Extremely... bad... please... H E L P.'

I look up from my little stars and see an owl with bright eyes. He hides in a dark corner and watches me, carefully. He holds one of my stars.

The star looks dangerous from this angle. 'HELP' That letter wasn't for me to understand. It was for the person who would find me dead. A Poll girl would never understand an acrostic message.

Dizzily, I look down at my beautiful stars. One of them has red on it, the one that I touched. The owl takes a step closer.

I pull one of my stars out of the silky pink sky by it's roots. The owl has my star, he's put them there. That makes me mad. I clumsily throw my star at him, and it hits something. I don't know what. 'Run!' I hear a voice in my head scream.
Red velvet pours out of the little owl. I get up and do what the voice says, stumble my way towards the bathroom.

Sweat trickles down my neck as I lock the bathroom door. Blood still stains the ground in which Axel lay. Handprints stain the side of the bath and the tiles in an alarming colour, one which I pray won't come out of me anytime soon.