Zombie

So, turns out I've been spelling Vivian wrong this whole time. It's actually Vivienne. Maybe it's because one of my former teachers had the last name Vivian. Loved that teacher... K I'll fix that later.

The airship has since reached the sky and beyond. Still I worry for Carlisle and what will become of him. He lies on one side of the ship, talking up four of the seats. His eyes flutter open from time to time. Half his arm hangs over the side of his makeshift stretcher and sways gently to the movement of the ship. Sometimes he talks, usually in small groans or mumbles. I wish I was able enjoy the full view of our surroundings. All the beautiful colours of nature speeding past us in a flash while I was busy taking care of Fenix. Making sure he's not dead - dare I say it.

Travis occasionally puts his hand on Blaze and tries to calm him. I wish my power came to me so easily. I asked Travis why I couldn't heal Fenix no matter how hard I tried. I swear I tried.
Travis, as usual, was calm about the matter. He said cheating death is probably the most difficult thing to do, and my powers can do just that. But Fenix isn't dead. He won't die. Will he?

For the first time I'd rather the explanation of lost powers be that I'm weak. Not that it's his time to go. I've heard people mention a person that controls death, called the reaper. I don't think he's why Fenix is always jumping death. I think there's someone, something more powerful than that. Something manipulative that tries to keep certain people from accomplishing things in life. It leaves people on the last straw of hope and then shreds it before we can blink. I wish that thing would leave. That it would stop targeting Fenix. Because one day he will die. And only on that day will he have served his purpose. I don't think he's finished yet.
Still I'm afraid of what could happen. What might happen to him.

"He never talks about her like that." Blaze says quietly. I turn to him and realise he's talking to me. I was so lost in my thoughts I didn't notice him sitting beside me.
I can tell he's been crying. Red outlines his deep set eyes, and colours his damp cheeks. He tries his hardest to be stronger than he feels, which I respect him for.

"What do you mean?" I ask, keeping myself from making eye contact. Because I know I might tear up too. The orange in his hair has outgrown and his real colour shows through. If he wasn't trusted by Fenix I would have never spoken to him. His clothes are similar to Fenix's. A black leather jacket and jeans. Except his are ripped and frayed at the front and he wears an old AC/DC t-shirt. He has a few piercings in his nose and eyebrow, and a ring in his ear that he plays with. Tattoos decorate his arm like a sleeve, which I think is what it's called anyway, and a silver chain necklace. Without the piercings and hair dye and tattoos, he'd look like every other teen, and maybe even a face I wouldn't be afraid of.

"He never talks about his mother. Ever." He says, bringing his hand up to his chin and fitting one finger between his lips. I copy him out of curiosity and he smiles at me.

"I asked him about it when we were kids, but even his dad was quiet about it. Not as much as he was. I know he might've mentioned his mother of confusion after hitting his head so badly but - for what it's worth - thank you." Blaze almost chokes on his own words. I can see how hard he's trying. He still feels guilty about what happened, what he did. He blames himself more than the rest of us do combined.

I place my hand on his shoulder, pushing past my discomfort. "It wasn't your fault. You got scared and did what anyone else would've done. You could've saved our lives."
"It wasn't Kai though. It wasn't Kai I hit." His voice breaks.

"You didn't know that. It isn't your fault." I try to persuade him. Although it doesn't seem to be working. His mind is fixed on blaming himself. "You don't understand. I helped Vivienne ruin my brother's life, and... someone else's too." His head lowers and he stares at the floor. Guilty.