Chapter Twenty-Two

I'm back, kids! I got so much positive reinforcement from the last chapter. You all loved that lemon...tee hee! Not to mention, you all thought that Garrett was awesome. I agree. He's fantastic! Up next will be the addition of some new attendings at Cook County Hospital, Bella's move into Edward's brownstone, Garrett's welcome to Chicago party and the return of Jasper. This chapter will take us up to Bella and Edward's vacation in Hawaii. I'm warning you all that after the vacation, things are going to turn angsty. Just saying...

Now, this story is based in a hospital. My medical training comes from...WebMD. I'm not a doctor, nor do I claim to be. I'm a music teacher who has a wild imagination and a penchant for all things Twilight (and with this story, added in a mix of ER! I loved Luca Kovac...) Which brings me to my disclaimer: None of this is mine. I'm not, nor ever will be, Stephenie Meyer. If was, I'd be rolling in the dough from her insane imagination that gave us Bella and Edward. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter Twenty-Two

EPOV

"Thank you, Dr. Ferguson. We'll be in touch," I said as I shook the hand of the doctor sitting across from me, interviewing for one of the three attending positions at Cook County.

"I appreciate the opportunity, Dr. Cullen. Thank you again," she said, nodding toward me. With a seductive grin, she smiled at Garrett. "I hope to hear from you soon." Garrett gave her a tight-lipped smirk and got up, ushering her out of my new office. Once Dr. Ferguson left, Garrett slammed my door.

"If I get another flirty look today, I'm seriously going to cut a bitch," Garrett growled, sitting down on the leather sofa in my office. "I know that I'm single but some of these female doctors are like cats in heat! This last one? She kept pawing at me like I was a dog or something."

"She was pretty bad," I chuckled. "Perhaps you should put on your old wedding band to get the desperate doctors to back off."

"I flushed it," he said. "I couldn't bear to keep a ring that said 'For all eternity, all my love, Kate.' Fucking lies! All fucking lies!"

"Sorry, bro," I sighed, sitting down next to him. "If it's any consolation; that was the last interview for today."

"Excellent. I want nothing more than to go home, shower and crash. I'd rather be dealing with patients than these moronic candidates for the attending positions," he sighed.

"Even though that was the last interview, we need to discuss them. Are any of them a possibility for another interview?" I asked, flipping through my pad of paper filled with notes on the six people we interviewed today. Two of them were definitely okay. The other four, including Dr. Ferguson, were not even on my radar.

"The first one, Dr. Singh, I liked him. His resume was pretty impressive," Garrett replied, glancing at his own notes. "Plus, he's board certified in pediatrics. It would be nice to have a doctor for all of the kids that come through here."

"I agree. How about Dr. Vanderwulf?" I questioned. "She may have just finished her residency but her letters of recommendation are glowing and her interview was the most professional out all of them."

"I liked her, too. She's a little green and where she had her residency concerns me. Peoria isn't very urban and she probably didn't have to deal with some of the shit we see, day in and day out," Garrett said.

"Do you think she can be molded?" I asked, putting my feet up on the small coffee table in front of the couch.

"The bones are there," Garrett replied. "I think she'd adapt pretty well. So, thumbs up on Dr. Singh and Dr. Vanderwulf?"