you, me, origami

october 9th, 2018

our hands are like strangers meeting for the first time, brushing clumsily against each other.  we're sitting on your floor, your face is close to mine and our fingers slide over one another, I can feel myself turning red. that's when you turned to me and said, "you know? I really love... puzzles".

there's a rubik's cube in your lap and you pick it up gently. your fingers move fast and I see you squint. there's a shimmer of light, a clever glint in your eyes as they linger on the colors. red, green, white, blue - if I asked, would you pick me up and hold me tight? take me in your hands, twist and turn me into something new.

your pen cap is in your mouth, grazing against your lips as you thumb through a sudoku book, putting numbers into place with a single look, keeping a steady gaze on the page in front of you - if I asked, would you solve me too? study me up close, rearrange and change me, tell me how to fit perfectly.

instead of paying attention in class, I watched your nimble hands shape a sheet of pink paper into a small bird. fragile and beautiful where there was once only mundane - if I asked, would you turn me into a paper crane? touch me gently and fold my edges, bending softly into you.

our hands are like strangers meeting for the first time, but could they be more than that? I want them to be more than that, warm and intertwined.

we're sitting on your floor, your face is close to mine, and I lean in even closer. my voice comes out in a whisper I don't recognize: "I think I could be your greatest puzzle yet".