Pictures on the wall

[Third person POV]

There was a collective silence as they all sat in the living room. Everyone seemed drained emotionally. Bella's face had tear stains. They could all hear the beeping of the heart monitor as Carlisle worked to take the knife out of her stomach. It had been hours and it seemed like it would be hours more until the surgery was completed.

There was an easier way, but no one dared to speak it. It was only in the most desperate state that River would be turned into one of them.

"Everyone come here." Carlisle had yelled into the front room. When they gathered into the little room that River was being worked on they could see she was in bad shape. "Her rapid healing is making it almost impossible to take the knife out of her stomach and she's losing blood quicker then the I.V can push it into her veins." Bella held onto Edward and sobbed into his chest. Alice shakily looked at Carlisle.

"Isn't... Isn't there anything we can do?"

"We could simply rip the knife out of her stomach. It's the last option." There was suddenly a knock on the door. Everyone tensed up significantly. It was Jasper who made his way to the door, already knowing who it was after Alice had a vision earlier in the day.

"Ah, Jasper." Aro did not smile even as his voice feigned a delightful tone. "Where is she?" His voice went completely monotone. Jasper rigidly moved out of the way and Aro glided inside. Behind him was the one and only Marcus who looked actually worried. Aro had no expression on his face as he followed his nose to the scent of the blood. He stood in the doorway as he stared at her with a wide eyed, seething expression.

"Do we know who was behind this attack?" His eyes swept around the room to everyone of them. They all looked away.

"No, not yet. If River wakes up when were done with the surgery we'll find out." Carlisle responded.

"You mean when." There was a collective looks at Aro. It was almost as if he cared more about River then he let on.

"There is a chance she won't survive the night. I can't perform miracles." Aro cocked his head to the side.

"And none of you thought about turning her? Would you rather she die? Wouldn't you want them to turn her, dear Bella?" His eyes stared intensely at Bella. Alice piped up, not giving Aro a chance to play mind games with her.

"Of course we would but only as a last resort. Esme would be the one to turn her, seeing as how they have a mother daughter connection." Aro pursed his lips.

"I will be the one to turn her if the time comes. Why are you simply leaving a knife in her stomach, Carlisle?" He snapped. His temper was becoming worse by the moment.

"She's healing too quickly to allow us time to properly take the knife out. We're going to have to pull it out if we want to give her any semblance of a chance at making it."

"Then do it."

"We'll need to hold down her arms and legs because the moment I do it she's going to wake up. I don't have her under any anesthetic." Suddenly Jasper and Alice held her arms and Rosalie and Emmett held her legs. "Edward, have Bella leave the room, she doesn't need to see this." Edward guided Bella out of the room.

"If this doesn't work Carlisle, I am turning her and bringing her back to Volterra with me. No debates about it, are we clear?"

"This really isn't the time to be making her arrangements. You don't even know what she'll want when she wakes up." He then walked over to River and gripped the handle tightly. "I'm sorry River." He whispered and then he pulled it out as quickly as he could. Their was a tearing noise and River lurched and a shriek ripped out of her chest. Her eyes opened wide and they were black while her retinas glowed an icy blue.