Chapter Five

Photo found on tumblr by "petalier"
I'll edit this tomorrow I'm posting this late and I'm tired lol
———————

☾Chapter Five☽

The smell of freshly brewed coffee filled Amber's nose. She breathed it in and then sighed at the smell.

"Mmmm.." She moaned, her eyes still closed. The warm sheets hugged her body as she rested her head on the fluffy pillow beneath her. She laid like that for several more minutes before leaning up in the bed. Her eyes were still heavy with sleep. She rose her arms above her and stretched as far as she could. She felt like she had glowed from within and no longer felt dull and well, dead. She had never felt or been this alive before.

She stood up and walked out of the bedroom to where she smelled the brewing coffee. She walked out to see Sam sitting at the small table in the kitchen sipping on what she assumed was coffee. She smiled and made her way to sit over in front of him.

"Good morning." He says forcing a smile back at her and pushing down the sleeves of his hoodie. "How'd ya sleep?"

"I slept really well actually. What do you wash your sheets and pillow cases in? They smell wonderful." Amber says, pushing her ratted, tangled hair behind her ear. She had yet to brush her hair and it was still slightly damp from the night before.

"Uhhh, nothing special really. You're probably just smelling my cologne." He chuckles and Amber suddenly feels heat rush to her cheeks. She brings her hands to her face and feels the heat radiating off of it.

"Are you okay?" Sam asks, looking at her as she worriedly touches her face.

"Ummm, I'm not sure. My face just became really hot all of the sudden. I think it's cooling off though. That's so weird. I've never had it do that before. I've read in many books about it though. I believe it's called blushing."  She says, looking up at him and laughing nervously.

"What do you mean you've never done it before?" Sam asks, sitting his mug down and raising his eyebrow at her.

Amber was "dead" in Halloween town, her body had never functioned as one would while living. This new world had made her come alive. Literally.

"Never mind. I think I just need some coffee." Amber says and stands.

"So, umm. Do you have any recollection of how to get back home?" Sam asks as she pours some coffee into a mug.

"No. I honestly have no idea. Sam, let me be honest with you for a second. I was miserable in Halloween town. I felt trapped and secluded away from reality. I felt like a freak. I don't think I'm meant to live there." She says, sighing and back sitting down with the warm cup of coffee in her hands.

"I mean, of course I miss my family. But I feel like I could be so independent here in New York. I love all the buildings and lights and oh! The normal looking people too!" She continues and Sam nods.

"Stay in New York then. Get a job, make a life for yourself. If you think you could truly be happy here then I think you should go for it." Sam says, hoping that what he said would trigger some previous memory of her life before she bumped her head and fell in a sewer. He needed her to remember who she was so she could get out of his hair and go home.

"I just feel so guilty for leaving my parents. I love them. If only they could understand how miserable I was there." Amber says, sitting her coffee down and cupping her hands over her face. "I still can't believe all of this is actually happening."

Sam nods, not really believing the girl. She sounded insane talking about a place called Halloween town where everyone was dead. "I am sure if you rest some more you will feel better." He says not really knowing what to tell the grieving girl. "How is your hand?"