Chapter One

☾Chapter One☽

The near sixteen year old Pumpkin Princess groaned as she heard her father's loud but amusing singing from downstairs. All she asked for was just a small wink of sleep, but she had never achieved that and never would until the day she moved out. She grabbed her pillow and shoved it over her face, annoyed. For five more minutes she waited for the peace of her father to stop singing, for only for the peace was never to come.

"Amber, dear?" Amber perks up slightly at the sound of her softly spoken mother's voice on the other side of her door.

"Mother?" She calls out before stiffly getting out of bed and trudging over to her door. She reaches out for the door knob before opening the door, revealing a beautiful rag doll who had looked similar to her. Sally smiles before taking her daughter's hands and jumping excitedly.

Amber gives her a confused smile, awkwardly standing while her overly cheerful mother jumped. Sally quickly leads her over to her unmade bed and sits down on the edge of it, tapping the spot beside her for her to sit. Amber reluctantly sits down beside of her and looks at her expectantly.

"So you know in just a few days you'll be turning sixteen.." Sally starts. "Well, your father and I have been thinking and, we want you to have the most wonderful sixteenth birthday party that you possibly can. Your father proposes to have a ball in the royal hallway for you. I've been working on a dress that I think will fit your taste perfectly. Dark and mysterious like your personality, my dear."

Amber attempts to hide the look she gives her mother. It was absolutely preposterous of her or her father to even think of throwing her such a large celebration. She certainly didn't want to participate. Unlike her mother and father, she was apathetic and dull. She never has been cheerful like her parents and never will be. Amber was an introvert, like her mother. Although her mother was an introvert, she was no sad, social reclusive corpse as she. Her father was the complete opposite. He was a loudly spoken, attention seeking extrovert. Not that it was bad to be an extrovert, but they had just always made her uncomfortable and feel drained.

Instead of disagreeing because she didn't want to make her glum for the rest of the day, she just nodded and forced a smile to satisfy her innocent mother.

"That sounds like a lovely idea, mother."

Sally smiles warmly at her before letting go of her hands. "I'm absolutely positive you'll have a wonderful time, my dear." She stands up. "Now, please excuse me while I assist your poor father in the kitchen. He's attempting to cook breakfast for the three of us."

Amber inwardly snorts. The last time her father, Jack, had tried to cook for them, it had resulted in almost burning their entire house down.

"Sally! Come assist me, my dear!" There is a clatter of pans and a yelp. "And please come quickly!" Jack yells from down below, making Sally giggle.

"Goodbye." Sally says quietly before quickly shuffling out of the room, her small feet clacking against the floor.

Amber watches her go, unable to conceal the small smile tugging at her lips. She looks down at her lap, no longer staring at the door way where she had last seen her mother.

"I must get ready." She whispers to herself before standing and making her bed with ease.

Amber then walks over to her large vanity and sits down on the stool. The vanity was painted a dark gray color with small, tastefully done black roses painted along side her mirror. Her cushioned stool was patterned the same way.

She lifts up a hairbrush her grandfather, Dr. Finklestein, had gotten her as a gift the year before. She then delicately begins to brush her charcoal colored hair, sighing as she does so. She applies perfume that she had made herself. It had smelled of sweet lavender, her favorite.