Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A storm was coming. I could tell by the hostile clouds in the distance moving closer to us, using anger as their fuel. I could also tell by the burning sunset, painting the sky orange. It was all because Sonny was trying to keep the weather pleasant enough for my sister and her fiancée.

As we all agreed that it was better to keep a low profile, they weren’t having a stag or a hen party. So, instead we threw them a party with in the white-soul dynasty and invited all the white-souls that attended the dynasty. It was a fancy-dress party and it was also a New Year’s Eve party as it was the 31st of December and Electra and Sam were due to get married in the morning on the first day of the New Year.

Rosita and Ryan were playing with Robin, alongside mum and dad. Aura, Ryvre and the bride-to-be were chatting away about wedding plans whilst Taran, Ace and the groom-to-be kicked around a ball for a little while. Ashling was helping Arella and Sonny to set up the tables for dinner later on in the evening. Everyone else was just talking, laughing and drinking.

The drinks were being served by a crew of angels that needed a job. They were dressed up but they had to wear wings to show that they were the workers – the females being in floor length dresses and the males being in trousers, a shirt and a tie – no blazer. But when her silhouette made its way through the French windows, I knew I wanted to get to know her better. She was wearing a black corseted, floor-length dress out of a material that looked similar to leather. She accessorised with some lacy arm sleeves that looped around her middle finger and ran up her arm, stopping before her elbow. She wore a headband around her forehead and let her black ringlets flow from it. She had a tattoo on her left upper arm. She finished off with a pair of black feathered angel wings. There was no way she was an actual black angel as the dynasty had done security checks and lie tests.

She slowly moved towards me with the drinks tray. ‘Would you like a drink, sir?’

‘Sure,’ I took a flute of champagne, ‘thank you.’

‘Just doing my job,’ She was about to walk off to serve other people. ‘Can I ask you a question, sir?’

‘You can if you stop calling me “sir”,’ I smiled at her.

‘Have we ever met before?’ She asked me, with stern gaze. Her eyes were a glowing light blue – almost white but definitely blue. ‘I know you were in my year but have we ever actually met. I mean, like, properly?’

‘Not that I can recall.’ I frowned, thinking hard about it. ‘What’s your name?’

‘Ava,’ she blushed a little, ‘Ava Jones. You’re Hugh Hunter – the guy who became a secret agent.’

‘How do you know that?’ I hissed at her.

‘I’m a secret agent too,’ Ava grinned, ‘just don’t ask me what company I work for.’

‘Let me guess, “If you tell me, you’ll have to kill me”?’ I rolled my eyes at that over-used threat.