Chapter 14 - Cole

I took a deep breath, stretching out my legs. It was a perfect Saturday morning. There were still two hours left until noon, so a bit early for a cool beer. I took a sip of my coffee instead. The birds chirped and flew from tree to tree as I waited for Carter on a lounge chair on the front porch of the house. Or mansion. Yeah, it was a fucking mansion alright. And Lucy was inside, prepping brunch in the cutest and sexiest sundress I've ever seen. She was showing just the right amount of cleavage, and her skin looked smooth. So fucking soft and smooth. I couldn't wait to feel her nipple in my mouth and her pussy clasped around me.

A familiar engine roar interrupted my fantasy, and sure enough, Carter's silver Lexus came into view. Great. We could start making brunch. I was fucking hungry. I stood up and adjusted my sunglasses.

"Hey, buddy," I called out as he swung open his door.

"Hey! Nice to see ya! This is gonna be great!"

He looked a bit worse for wear, but with a huge shit-eating grin. He must've had a good night.

"Looking a little rough—"

My words stuck in my mouth, because the passenger's side door opened and a familiar figure emerged.

What the fuck? What was she doing here?

I quickly wiped the shocked look off my face and tried to turn my lips up at their corners, into something that vaguely resembling a smile.

"Hi, Shelley!" I said in what I hoped was an upbeat tone.

Carter slapped my shoulder and leaned in. "I meant to tell you. She slept over and I thought it would be rude not to invite her. Isn't she great?" he asked with a wistful smile.

"Yeah, sure is," I muttered. Why the hell did he have to bring her? Was he trying to screw me over? Okay, probably not. But it was still annoying as fuck. I just hoped she wouldn't bring up the previous night.

"Hi, Cole! Nice to see you!" She pushed her sunglasses up on her head and flashed a smile.

"Nice to see you too, Shelley. So glad you're here!" I turned my head so she couldn't see me rolling my eyes.

I led them into the house, hoping Lucy wouldn't be pissed at having extra company.

"Hey, babe, is that you?" Lucy called out, and I heard her footsteps approaching from the kitchen's direction.

Her angelic face burst into a smile as soon as she spotted me, but then as she looked beyond me, her expression changed. She squinted, and then her eyes widened. It only lasted a second, and then she quickly plastered a friendly smile in its place.

"Lucy!" Shelley gushed in that fake tone of hers.

My eyes popped wide open. They know each other!? Shit!

I looked at Carter, who still had a goofy grin on his face. A grin I wanted to slap off him then and there.

"Oh cool, you know each other! See, it'll be a great day!" Carter said. "Nice to meet you, Lucy. This is—well, guess I don't need to tell you. This is Shelley."

"Oh, hi Shelley," Lucy said. "Nice to meet you, Carter."

"Hey, where are you guys?"

Amanda appeared, and the look on her face was priceless. Fucking great! She knows her, too! This was turning into a fucking disaster and all I wanted to do at this point was to get swallowed up by the earth. But no, the ground didn't open up and put me out of this misery. Luck just wasn't on my side.

"So, how do you all know each other?" asked Carter, his lips tight. Looked like he finally caught whiff of the tension in the air.

"We work together!" said Shelley, with an almost maniacal smile.