Chapter 19 - Lucy

"Mom, are you here?" I called out tentatively. I wanted to warn her I'd arrived in case she was doing naked yoga, but didn't want to wake her if she was napping on this fine Saturday morning. Just kidding! Naked yoga wasn't her thing, but I was always mindful of others' privacy.

I hadn't seen her in almost a month and I figured it was high time I made a visit. She'd given me a key long ago. That's just the way she is. Her door was always open to me and her kitchen always smelled great from whatever homemade meal she had on the stove.

"Mom?"

I reached into my purse and felt around for the envelope. It had two-hundred dollars in it, which wasn't much, but that's what I could afford to give her right now. I'd have to find a moment alone to slip it in one of her kitchen cabinets.

"Hey, sweetie!" she said with her adorable accent as she came in from the balcony.

I didn't even have a chance to put my purse down before she engulfed me in a tight hug. I leaned down and wrapped my arms around her.

"Come in! Are you hungry? Lunch is basically ready. I've just got to finished these mashed potatoes."

I took a deep whiff. "What did you cook?"

Mom's eyes glittered. "Your favorite. Stuffed peppers."

Oh, wow! Today was my lucky day. I couldn't repress a broad smile.

"Aww, Mom, you shouldn't have," I said, but internally I was doing a happy dance. It had been a while since I'd had some of her home cooking. "Do you need some help?" I followed her into the kitchen.

"No, don't be silly. You must be tired after working all week. Just make yourself a coffee and rest, honey, okay?"

I couldn't argue with that, and after fixing my coffee, I waited for her back in the living room. It was small, but tidy and cozy. She had a pretty, embroidered table cloth on her coffee table with a blue bowl in the middle. Small slivers of bright sunshine managed to filter through the gaps between the opaque curtains, so I got up and adjusted them a bit.

Her place was like home. I could have easily passed out on her couch, that's how comfy and cozy everything was.

"Well, what's new?" she asked when she joined me. Her hair was swept back from her face. Her lined face was warm and loving; she had smile lines radiating from the outer edge of her eyes. I could tell she was tired; so, so tired, but she kept that brave face on, the one that always smiled. I knew the side effects of her psychotropic drugs wreaked havoc on her mind and body, but she didn't let on. This woman amazed me.

"Not much. Still working those crazy hours, Mom."

"Well, I hope you manage to have some fun too, now and then."

I nodded with a smile. "I do, don't worry, Mom. I've got Amanda and a bunch of friends to hang out with from time to time. They keep me busy."

She looked at me searchingly, as if she was about to say something, but must have changed her mind. She brought her cup to her lips and tipped it, glancing at the TV.

"What is it, Mom?"

Our eyes met, and I instantly knew where this was going.

"What about dating? Are you seeing anyone special?"

I groaned audibly, and my mom's eyes widened. "Well, can you blame me for asking? I never hear anything about you dating, and it's starting worry me. You deserve to be happy, don't you?"

"Mom! Why do you assume single people, especially women, are miserable? Trust me, I'm just fine."

"I don't think they're all miserable. Maybe just most of them." She shrugged. "I just want the best for you, hon, and all work and no play can't be all that great."