Chapter 18 - Cole

I couldn't believe my luck. Of all the places in Manhattan she could have gone on a Wednesday night, Lucy decided to show up at Irish Embassy. This was clearly a sign that things would work out. Or at least I hoped.

Seeing her ignited a fire within me. All I wanted to do was wrap her in my arms and lay a kiss on her, but given the way things stood between us, that wasn't really an option. It was tough to restrain myself, but I had no choice.   

Struggling with what to say, I looked into her eyes, trying to discern her mood and disposition toward me. Was she open to discussing things? Or should I keep things light and off-topic? 

"Pretty busy for a Wednesday night, isn't it?" I started. 

Her beautiful eyes cast a glance across the room and she nodded. "It is. I'm surprised, and honestly, I was hoping to have a quiet night. So, I might not stick around."

She was going to leave? Not if I have anything to do with it. I hoped against hope that Carter, Shelley, and Annabelle would stay put at the booth we'd occupied. The last thing I needed was for Lucy to be reminded of that picture of our dinner.

"Stay. I mean—it would be great to spend some time with you."

Her gorgeous, ripe lips parted, and she finally spoke up. "Cole...well, we do have to finish that project, so maybe we should get together soon. Do you know whether the visual people are done on their end?"

What the hell? There I was, pouring my heart out—or trying to—and she wanted to talk about work? This wasn't going according to plan, but I couldn't afford to be pushy and risk driving her away. She's made herself clear; she wanted to stick to business. It stung, but I decided to take what I can get.

"I emailed them today. They'll need a few more days to get their ducks in a row. They'll send them to us by Monday, they said, and then we can make the final presentation to client. You cool with that?" 

She nodded and looked out over the crowd. Perhaps she was looking for her friend, or maybe looking for an exit? I had to do something to stop her.

"Can I get you a drink?"

Her gaze met mine and there was no denying it—the spark was still there. I wasn't down and out. Not by a long shot.

Then, her eyes turned dark. "Why don't you get your friend over there a drink? Looks like she misses you."

Fuck. So, she'd seen Annabelle hanging all over me. There wasn't much I could do without being rude. I'd tried my best to keep my distance, but she wouldn't let up. She may have fucked up my chances with Lucy.

I stared straight into her eyes. "She's nobody to me. That's Shelley's friend. For some reason, Carter insists on bringing her everywhere, and I think I might have to ditch him a few times until he gets the message." 

My self-restraint evaporated and I reached out to snake a hand around her waist. The moment I touched her, the room seemed to stand still. I stiffened with need for her. All that was left to do was lean in and taste her sweet lips. 

"Hey, man, I've been looking all over for you!" 

Holy shit. Could his timing be any worse? I grunted and shot Carter a look of death. What the fuck? Can't he see I'm busy? My rising anger must have been written all over my face because he stammered something and disappeared.  

My expression softened and I turned back to Lucy, ready to reclaim her. But this time, something in her face stopped me. Her expression was one of reproach. But she didn't pull away.  

"I don't know if this is a good idea," she said quietly. 

I took a deep breath. Was she gonna hold that stupid dinner over my head forever? If she was any other woman, I would've given up long ago. But there was something about Lucy. Something intangible and magical that made me want her.