DECEMBER, 1990

Stefani's POV

In that year we didn't travel for Christmas. My mother, Cynthia, always liked to visit the family but that year it was not possible. I don't remember why. Gloria, our neighbor gently invited us to pass the Christmas day with her and her two boys. I was four years old and they were nine and twelve. Of course, Noah was just a teen who didn't even look at me but Brad was nice. He was older but he enjoyed to play with me. He was like my older brother.

It was snowing a lot outside and dad started the fireplace in the morning. It was time to open the gifts. Santa gave me the Polly I asked all year and he gave Brad a new gameboy. Noah got the a new bike. I am sure Gloria had to spend all her money that year to make her boys happy. Gloria also gave me a crochet hat she made.

Brad invited me to go to his bedroom to play the old Atari they had. While playing, I remember we talked about his father.

"Brad... Why your father never came to Christmas?"

"I don't know my father". I remember I looked at him surprised. How come someone could not know their father?

"Really?"

"Yeah! Noah told me he used to beat on mom and on him. That's why we live here. You are lucky you have a nice dad".

"I can lend you my father if you want. I heard him telling my mom he wants a son. I bet he would not mind being your dad".

"I would like Joe to be my dad". I smiled at him. "Then you'd be my sister. I always wanted a sister".

"We can be brother and sister". I remember I hugged him. "Promise you'll never leave me?"

"I promise, Stef!"

He hugged me back, just like an older brother would do. Since I was a kid I felt so protected by him. My parents always treated him and Noah like their children. My dad always wanted to have a son and that's why he like the boys to be around. He even techead them how to play baseball and I was always with them to learn as well.

My father Joseph was the sweetest guy on Earth. He used to work in an internet company and he was very intelligent. My mom, Cindy, was a very beautiful woman, no wonder why dad fell in love with her. She used to work for Verizon in those times. They didn't make that much money but we lived well.

Brad's family always had less money than us and as a kid I never cared about it. His friendship was everything I wanted.

To be continued