Monsieur Jean's mistake

The day was almost over, the sun letting the trees taste a filet of orange-red candy and even the birds were returning to their homes for the night. Everything was as peaceful as it's always been.

Rosie took a big breath, soaking up all the good energy and letting the sun cure her for a while before it disappears again. She admired the two Siamese oak trees that formed an arch at the entrance of the Forehill Woods, knowing that would lead to the Berkley Domaine, about a 100 miles from where she stood. She took two steps on the stone path surrounded by the bug-less grass that Herbert the Gardener was maintaining so faithfully. The entrance of the domaine was guarded by two angels hugging tightly, with the carved italic inscription « BerkleyWood Manor » just below their feet. Just as she was about to go towards the huge castle, she saw Monsieur Jean returning with Smoky on his trail.

The day's over. I kept my promise, aye ?  

Smoky suddenly ran to her, making a circle around the long white skirt she was wearing. With a deadly glance from Rosie, he stopped at her feet, panting.

"Yes. You are a sneaky dog but you're the best", she said while caressing his ears. Monsieur Jean was crossing his arms over his chest, looking at them suspiciously. "I can see that Smoky managed to get your attention", he said with a sad tone.

Rosie stopped caressing the black retriever and got up in a hurry. She would always forget herself in the most unwanted moment. Cursing herself for forgetting to be polite, she bowed in front of him and kept her head down. "Avez-vous bien profiter de votre promenade, Monsieur Jean ?", she said in a flawless french. « My daily walk to the forest wasn't that good. This devil kind of ruined it.", he said to the dog in a perfect English. "It would have been better if you were there with me". 

Raising her eyebrows, she kept her head down. Monsieur Jean was a guest at Berkley Manor, being a very close friend to the Master. Tall and brown-haired, he was a handsome devil and would always look at her in a very strange way. He took a quick glance at her before smirking. "Pardon, monsieur ?", she said while frowning, "I am not allowed to...".

Before she could argue with him, he took her by the shoulders and straighten her up

Before she could argue with him, he took her by the shoulders and straighten her up. "Help a guest around those endless trees ?", he said while searching to meet her eyes. "I am sure you can help out. Helping is not forbidden, correct ? Besides, it's not too dark yet". 

Rosie could feel her blood getting colder by the second. His hands were still on her shoulders, gripping her tightly. Perhaps, a little too tight. "Night is falling, Sir ", she said. "Diner will be ready soon. You should go back to the Castle". He let go of her shoulders slowly and took a glance at Smoky. The dog's tail wasn't moving anymore. Suddenly calm, he was looking at Monsieur Jean with angry eyes. "Really ? The sky's still orange though".

Rosie looked up to see him observing her closely. Monsieur Jean was clearly waiting for her to say yes. The pressure climbed high when he started frowning. She knew she couldn't say no as he was so intimidating. And she was never intimidated. Feeling her will shiver, he turned to the side, a hand pointing at the woods, bowing slightly. "After you, Madame".