Chapter 4

Stevie was a little nervous to have Robert over for dinner. She didn't really cook for people often really but she wanted him to know her for who she really was and not Stevie Nicks rockstar. She wanted to be able to be herself all of the time if she was going to be spending time with him. She dressed casually and put her hair up. She wore some makeup but not as much as she did when she went out. She wasn't sure Robert had ever seen her this relaxed but this was how she was when she was home. She walked downstairs when she heard the doorbell, feeling nervous and excited at the same time. She opened the door. "Hi, come in." she said He walked in and smiling bent down to give her a quick kiss. He started to speak but then started laughing and she looked up at him trying to figure out what was so funny. "I'm sorry Stevie. It just surprised me how far I had to bend down to kiss you." he laughed. She made a fake pout face. "I know, I know. I'm short. You've probably never seen me without my heels on." she offered. "I guess not. But I like that you're so small." he said, trying to make sure he didn't offend her. People being surprised about how small she really was wasn't anything new for Stevie. It didn't really bother her. "Well, thank you." she said before leading him into the kitchen. "Do you want anything to drink? I'll open a bottle of wine. I should have dinner ready soon." she told him. "Wine would be great. Thanks for cooking, I feel like I'm always eating out." he replied. She nodded in agreement. "I try to cook when I'm home because well, you know, when you're on tour you don't really have the opportunity." she explained. She handed him his glass of wine and she took hers and went back to finishing their meal. They talked lightly for a few minutes and as she was bringing their food to the table. The talk somehow moved to their dynamics within their bands. Stevie got along with hers better than Robert did his. They were probably broken up forever. She had hoped the subject of Lindsey wouldn't come up. She didn't know what she would say, there were certainly a few things that she didn't want him to know. But, like she was afraid it would, Robert asked her about Lindsey. "I don't really think that's something that you want to hear about it. I'm not that proud of some of my actions when it comes to Lindsey. I think once I started telling you, you'll wish I hadn't." she replied, not meeting his eyes. Robert could see her hesitancy but he didn't want her to think she had to hide anything from him. Hadn't they both lived crazy lifestyles? "Stevie don't feel that way. You can tell me anything. There's been a lot there between you two. I just want to know." he said. What he really wanted to know was where he stood when it came to Lindsey. It wasn't a secret in the music world that those two had a love hate relationship but once they had reunited it had been more of a love relationship. Stevie took a big gulp of her wine and sighed.

"If you really want to know..." she started. He nodded his head. "Well everyone knows the whole story of our break up and all the battles of the 80's. We really had very little contact after that. When we started getting together to reunite Fleetwood Mac things changed. We had grown up and we still had feelings for the other. We really did fall in love again. We were pretty determined to make it work this time. Then he found out his girlfriend he had had before was pregnant. That kind of changed everything. We didn't break things of, he was there for his son but he was with me. We carried on that way for awhile but I found out she was having another baby a couple of years later. I thought I was going to die. I broke it off and sent him on his way. He married her. I'm not proud of this at all but after a couple of years he convinced me that he was still in love with me, loved me more than anyone else. If I could just be patient while he raised his children we could be together. So, we've just really been on and off since then." she said, not meeting his eyes. She had said way more than she should. He wasn't saying anything and she panicked. "You have to understand, Lindsey has been the only man that has stayed in my life. No one else has ever been willing to put up with me." she said trying to explain and failing miserably. Why had she told him all of this? Finally he spoke. "Stevie you deserve so much more than that." he told her sadly. He took her face in his hands and made her meet his eyes. "That is no way for you to live. You can't sit around for years waiting for something that may never happen. If you can give us a chance, I'll prove to you that you deserve so much more than living in the shadows waiting for your turn." he said quietly. She smiled at him and leaned closer to give him a kiss. He responded quickly trying to be very compassionate. He felt terrible for Stevie, he thought she probably lived a very lonely life. He felt that she deserved to be with someone who made her feel important. He would show her how she should be treated.