9: Broken Wishes

[Baldi's POV]

I had pretty much quit school. I missed Princi too much, and I wanted to go back to him.

But, could I? Realistically?

No, I don't think so. Why would he want me back anyway? I hung up on him, and tore myself apart for it. Oh, how I regret doing that...

I glanced down towards my hands. I regret doing that as well. I shouldn't have given up like that. Princi wouldn't want me to.

I brought my knees to my chest, resting my head on the arm of the couch. Lately, I've felt something when I was around Princi, but what is it? I guess I shouldn't dwell on it. It's not that important, right?

Shaking my head, I cleared those thoughts. Maybe I should ask if Princi would take me back into the schoolhouse.

Mustering up all my courage, I picked up my phone. In my 'Recent Calls' there were three calls listed. One was from Princi. I tapped his name and pressed the call button.

Then I brought the phone to my ear.

He picked up after four rings, saying a wary "Hello?"

I let out a soft sigh of relief. "Hi, Princi," I greeted, keeping my voice light.

"Are you calling just to hang up on me again?" he asked sarcastically, a little passive-aggressive.

I was taken aback. "No! Why would I—no, I won't ever do that again," I insisted. It was true; the one time I did that tore my heart into shreds, more fine than when I left the schoolhouse.

There was a slight pause. "Well, look, I know you're probably having a great time at university. I wish you good luck, but I have to go. Lots of paperwork to do."

Click.

I listened to the dial tone for a minute at least. The shock was yet to get to me. I lowered my phone and sighed, blocking out all the conflicting emotions.

He doesn't want you back at the schoolhouse.

I pushed my hurtful conscience away, focusing on the numbness that coursed through my veins.

However, I was determined. Maybe, just maybe, I could meet up with him in real life and talk things out.

I was lying to myself, wasn't I?

To Be Continued...