16: The Date

[Princi's POV]

It was a Saturday at about four in the afternoon. I was freaking out in the bathroom, fussing over my appearance. I wanted to look perfect for tonight's outing.

My phone buzzed. Heart pounding, I picked it up, knowing it was Baldi.

Baldi: Will you pick me up, or will I pick you up?

I breathed a sigh of relief. At least he wasn't cancelling. I texted a reply, sheer happiness building inside my heart.

Princi: I'll pick you up, of course. I hope 5 PM is okay.

I set my phone down and smiled, returning to the task at hand. I combed my hair, styling it in a different way. I hoped that Baldi would like it better.

After a little while, I left the bathroom, satisfied. I promised Baldi I'd pick him up at five, so I went downstairs to get in my car. I made sure everything was perfect, organising my car a little and turning the stereo to the radio at a quiet volume.

I pulled up to his house, and I didn't even have to get out of the car. Baldi immediately opened his door and walked out towards my car, waving a little. He got into the passenger's seat and smiled at me. "Hello, Princi!" he greeted.

"Hey!" I replied cheerfully. "How are you today?" I began to make conversation while I began to drive to the beach. To be honest, I was so excited for this night.

"I'm fantastic," Baldi replied lightly. "I really like your hair! Did you do something different with it?"

My heart skipped a beat. I felt a lot of pride, simply hearing those words from him. "Aww, thank you! Yes, I did do something different. I'm glad you like it."

We made simple conversation for the rest of the way, since the drive was relatively short. I parked on the side of the road and got out, going to stand by Baldi's side. "So, what would you like to do first?" I inquired, starting to walk down the sidewalk with my fellow staff member.

He looked thoughtful for a few seconds. "I don't know," he mumbled. "You can pick."

"Why don't we go into some of the shops, then?" I suggested. "After that, it would be time for dinner."

Baldi nodded approvingly. "Sounds good!"

So, we walked down the sidewalk, going into each of the beachfront shops. We didn't really buy anything—we just window-shopped and just kind of looked at stuff. Still, it was fun. I guess anything is fun when I'm with Baldi.

After about an hour of laughing and cheerful conversation as we browsed the shops, we decided to go for dinner. This particular restaurant was pretty much on the beach, with tables beside the water. We were lucky enough to get a waterside table, which made things just that much better.

"Should we share something?" Baldi asked me, looking at the menu. "All these things look huge, and I'm not that hungry."

I nodded in understanding. "Me neither. Yeah, why don't we share this pizza?" I showed him a picture of a small meat lover's pizza.

"That looks perfect," Baldi responded with a gentle smile. "I was about to suggest the same thing."

The dinner went well, and somehow, we never ran out of things to talk about. We complimented each other, inevitably resulting in a blush from the receiver. Who knows, maybe there's a chance that he does like me back after all...

After finishing dessert and paying for the bill (which I insisted I pay for), the sun was beginning to set. I still thought that, maybe, I could try for that kiss. So, I suggested that we take a walk on the beach, and go for a kiss right at sunset. The scene looked perfect in my mind, but I was slightly skeptical about the whole thing.

To my surprise, Baldi agreed quickly to the sunset walk idea. We set off onto the beach, continuing to talk with each other.

Suddenly, Baldi touched my arm, signalling for me to stop. I did, and turned to face him. I didn't say a word, and simply listened to what he had to say.

"Tonight was really fun," he murmured with a slight smile. "I would do it again in a heartbeat."

This is it, I thought. Hesitantly, I slowly leaned closer to Baldi. Little did I know, he was doing the same thing. My eyes slipped shut, waiting to savour this moment.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, our lips met in a gentle, sweet kiss.

To Be Continued...