Chapter 8: The Disappearing Traveller

Marco was still looking for Star an hour before the concert was supposed to start. But he couldn't find her anywhere.

"Have you seen Star?"

"Nope." Justin shrugged. "Guess maybe she's really good at blending in."

"This isn't time for jokes, Justin." Marco frowned. "I haven't seen her all day."

"Sorry man, but neither have I."

Marco then ran off and searched the house again.

"Maybe she went off to the woods again," Janna suggested.

"But she knows she's not supposed to go there." Marco growled. "I'm gonna go look."

"Marco, the concert." Jackie pouted. "...We can all go look for her afterwards. Please?"

Marco paused and looked at his pleading friends' faces. "...Fine. But immediately after the concert."

______________

"What made you change your mind?" Madame Moon smirked.

"...Marco's happy," Star said with a blank look.

Madame Moon nodded solemnly, and left the touchy subject alone. "Okay. She's staying at the hotel."

"...We just...show up?" Star frowned.

"Well, yes," Madame Moon answered. "I am her sister."

Star sighed and followed her out of the woods, where a car was waiting.

"I've called a friend who will drive us there so we don't look so conspicuous."

Star nodded, and hugged her jacket tighter around herself. The wind was picking up its pace.

"Vincent!" Madame Moon waved at a black car.

Star froze. No way. The window rolled down and there he was, her Mewmen doctor. The one who couldn't catch a hint that Star didn't want to go back -that she could find a cure by herself.

"Estella Mariposa," he said gravely.

"Don't call me that," Star huffed, climbing into the back seat. "...Drive."

"Star!" Madame Moon gasped. "That's no way to -"

Star leaned against the window and completely ignored her.

The car ride was filled with silence. Star had numbed herself to the pain her heart felt -as if it was being torn in half. She had never felt this intensely about anyone before. And that meant she had to do this. There was no way out.

"...We're here." Mr. Toffee sighed.

Madame Moon and Star got out and went up to the doors, before disappearing inside.

"Hello, is Rain Heinous staying here?" Madame Moon asked at reception. "I'm her sister, Moon."

"Let me check..." The lady behind the desk looked through the night's bookings. "...No. I'm sorry, but there is no Rain here."

"Are you sure? She told me this was where she was staying."

"I'm sure. And besides. How do I know you're not lying?" She narrowed her eyes. "Wait a minute. You're Madame Moon from Cirque de Mewni! I'm a big fan!"

"Thank you." Madame Moon smiled. "But I really need to see my sister."

"Uh...well, like I said before, she's actually not here. I'm sorry. But I think she must've given you the wrong address."

"...Right...Thank you. Good evening." Madame Moon walked out and Star trailed behind her.

"This doesn't make sense."