Chapter 2: Daisy Ice Cream

For days, Sam was quiet.  He played with the new puppy, but really only spoke when spoken to.  When I touched him, he flinched away.  Neither Dean, nor I were having any luck getting anything out of him.  He wasn't moody exactly - no more than usual, anyway.  It was this new quietness that was disturbing.

The Jayhawks game blared loudly. Dean and I sat together in the recliner - comfortably wrapped around each other. Dean lazily downed the last of his beer. He glanced at Sam. "Hey, Dude - grab me another one?" Dean shook the empty bottle in Sam's direction.

Sam huffed angrily and slammed down the book he was reading instead of watching the game. "Get it your damn self." Sam snapped. 

Dean jumped in surprise. "What the Hell?" Sam waved him off and stomped out.

I patted Dean's chest. "I want some chips anyway. I'll get it."

Dean glared at Sam's retreating back. "Find out what's up his ass - what a douchebag."

I got up with a heavy shove. Dean groaned and grabbed my wrist. I leaned down and snatched a quick kiss. His lips were soft and very warm - with a faint taste of hops. I pressed my lips against his for a better kiss. Dean's hand slid up into my hair. He murmured, "Screw the beer. And Sam. Let's go to bed early."

I smiled. "It's only 5:30. Not yet. I'll get the beer."

He sighed in disappointment and released me. "See what bee got in his bonnet while you're at it."

Sam slammed the fridge shut with such force, I heard the beer bottles rattle inside as I walked into the kitchen. "Wow. What's up with you?" I asked.

He grabbed the bottle opener out of the drawer and popped open two beers. "Nothing," he answered sulkily, "nothing I want to discuss with YOU anyway."

Affronted, I crossed my arms and raised my eyebrows. I was in the doorway - not blocking it - but definitely making sure he'd have to squeeze by to leave. Sam glanced up.  The look on my face must have been epic.  His head dropped. "I'm sorry. That came out meaner than I meant it. I just - just can't talk to you about it."

I relaxed. "Well, you need to talk to someone. And soon. You're about to explode, Sam."

He nodded weakly. Sam swallowed and licked his lips. "Who? Seriously I-I've got nobody." That crushed me.

"Can I hug you?" I offered. He blinked in permission and lifted his arms up to let me hug his ribs. I didn't want a rib hug though, and raised up on my toes to wrap my arms around his neck. He stiffened. I didn't force it, but I stroked his hair gently and whispered, "I'll always listen. I don't know why you can't tell me, but I won't judge you, Sweetheart.  I hate seeing you this miserable. So does Dean."

At that, he tucked his face into the crook of my neck and rested on me with a heavy sigh. The beer bottles were cold on my back, but Sam never asked for comfort, so I wasn't about to complain. "Thanks, Doll Face.  I'll - I'll figure it out. I needed the hug."  I gave him an extra squeeze and released him.  He handed me the beer.  "I'm not in the mood to watch the game.  Here, one is for you.  I'll see ya later."  And with that, he walked out, an orange fluff ball close on his heels.

Dean and I had been asleep for some time. The creak of the door opening woke me.  In the gloom, I saw Sam's shaggy head peak in. He half-whispered, "Anybody awake?"

I whispered back, "I am.  What's wrong?"

He looked down at the floor and paused. "I - I can't sleep. I'm just, uh, really lonely. Can I come in?"

Apparently Dean heard him and snapped loudly, "YES, just shut up!" Sam smiled sheepishly and walked in.  He hesitated. There was only one spot for him, so he lay gingerly down behind me. I was laying on my side, and I reached back and gave him a pat on the thigh.  He made that little half-laugh, half-scoff noise he always did.