Chapter 16: The Motel

Dean took me by the elbows and lifted me out of Baby's trunk.   He pulled me to my feet and pressed me gently to his chest.  I tucked my face miserably against him and wrapped my arms around his neck.  "I'm - I'm sorry, Dean."  I whispered in a choke. 

Fingers rubbed small circles in my hair.  "Nah.  I know how it is.  You were trying to help.  Crowley did this.  I blame him for using you."  

I heard Sam's feet shuffle in the gravel.  He must have turned to go.  Dean coughed, "Uh, hey Sammy- wanna brainstorm in our room?  You, uh, don't have to leave unless you want to."   I lifted my eyes to look at Sam's face.  He'd been so resistant to Dean since we'd shown up - I was curious if he understood the real request. 

Sam blinked and hesitated.  "I - uh, it's the middle of the night, Dean."  He quivered with indecision.  Dean and I both saw it.  Since Dean was holding me, he couldn't see my face.  I slipped a finger between my lips and pulled it slowly out.  Sam saw the movement.  He clamped his eyes closed and stifled a smile. 

Dean narrowed his eyes and looked down at me, but I already wore a look of innocence.  Sam scoffed.  "Yeah, alright."  He sighed heavily in defeat and shook his head. 

Dean looked from me to Sam.  "What'd I miss here?" 

Sam smirked.  "I owe her one.  And she called me out." 

Dean's eyebrows went up with a "huh" - but he only nodded. 

I shook my head.  "No.  I'm not going to force that.  You come over when you're ready.  I was playing around." 

Sam looked relieved.  "I'll think about it.  I promise." 

I let go of Dean and reached for Sam.  "I need to tell you I'm sorry, too."  

He hugged me and scrubbed my back up and down.  "Nah, already forgotten.  Crowley's a real piece of work.  He's gotten to all of us before."   Sam quickly kissed my forehead and pushed me back towards Dean.  "Go.  Go get some sleep.  See ya in the morning." 

Dean let us in with his motel key.  I would have needed to wake him up to let me back in - if my original plan had worked.  I felt even dumber than I already did.  "Dean... I..." I started, but trailed off. 

He waved a hand at me.  "Nope.  All done.  Let's sleep.  I'm exhausted."   I nodded gratefully and we collapsed into bed.  For once, Dean laid on his side.  I snuggled in close to his heart and buried my face against his neck.  

Breathing in the comforting sweet smell of him, I relaxed.  Soft fingers looped over my back in a slow rhythm.  His own breathing evened out and he pushed against me in sleep.  Dean wanted on his stomach.   I moved back to give him room.  I felt suddenly exposed, and picked up an extra pillow to shove behind my back.  It had worked when I was alone in my apartment, after all. 

Dean felt me fussing with it and mumbled, "He should'a come in." 

I closed my eyes grimly.  "It has to be his decision, not ours."  

Dean 'hmmft' at me and punched up his pillow.  "I coulda made him."  

I kissed his cheek and answered, "Yeah, I could have, too.  And almost did.  But it wouldn't have been permanent."  

Dean gave me another 'hmmph'.  The pillow behind me wasn't perfect, but I slipped my hand under Dean, tucked my fingers into his warm palm, and relaxed again.  Sleep was slower for me - I kept replaying the night's events over and over in my mind with regret.  I finally sank into sleep's dark folds long after Dean's breathing had slowed to a steady rhythm.