Chapter Three

The day was long and stressful. Leah did her best to avoid Jade, going so far as to eat lunch outside. She even waited after school until most of the students had driven away or taken the bus before heading to the little black jeep her dad let her borrow for school. It wasnt that she was scared of the girl. She just didn't feel like getting detention her first day.

When Leah got back to the house, she dropped her backpack on the couch and headed for the kitchen. Taking out a loaf of bread, she began making herself a peanut butter and fluff sandwich. Just like back home, there was a note on the fridge from Julian. She wanted Leah to get the pork chops out of the freezer to thaw, and start making biscuits for dinner.

Leah scowled as she bit into the sweet gooeyness of her sandwich. Tossing the note carelessly into the garbage, she went to the living room to relax and text a few old friends. Before long Jacey barged through the front door, tossing his backpack on the couch before diving for the tv remote. He turned on the nature channel, which was in the middle of a documentary on snakes.

"Hey, Jacey."

He glanced at her, then turned his attention back to the documentary.

"How was school?"

Either he didn't want to answer or was too occupied with the TV to hear. So Leah watched it with him, even though she wasn't particularly fond of snakes--especially ones that could swallow animals whole. They were still watching it an hour later when Julian got home from work.

"Hey kids," she called, placing her big purse on the kitchen table. Neither answered her. "Leah, did you get started on those biscuits?"

"No."

"And why not?"

"Forgot."

There was the sound of the freezer opening. "You didn't take out the pork chops either! Dinner's gonna be late now."

"I don't care."

Julian poked her head into the living room. "That was very disrespectful."

"Fine, I'll make your biscuits," she growled.

"Recipe's on the microwave." Julian started upstairs. "I'll help you after I get changed out of my work clothes."

Leah went to the kitchen and searched the cabinets for a mixing bowl. Later while she was stirring the ingredients, Jacey came in and reached for the cookie jar on the counter.

"Can't believe she's making me do this," she complained to him. "Why does everything always have to be her way?" The flour dust tickled her nose. "Achoo!!! Ugh....Can't wait until I can move out. Who even makes homemade buiscuts anymore?!"

Jacey watched her quietly, chewing his cookie. "Let's go outside."

"Not now, I got to finish this."

"Then we'll go outside."

She shooed him away. "Yeah, sure."

Julian came down and put the frozen pork chops in the microwave, then examined the biscuit batter.

"Very nice," she praised, taking over the mixing. "I can do the rest. Why don't you go get your homework done before Dad gets home?"

Leah turned and strode out of the kitchen, Jacey trailing behind her.

"Homework," she grumbled, picking up her backpack. "First day of school and I'm already sick of it." She felt a tug on her sleeve.

"Outside," Jacey demanded.

His sister glanced back at the kitchen. Julian was spooning lumps of dough onto a tray and humming along with Spotify. Why not?

"Wait here a sec." Leah hurried upstairs and tossed her backpack on her bed. She pulled off her blouse and put on a cool tanktop. Jacey was waiting obediently for her at the bottom step when she came back. "Okay, let's go."