Chapter Eleven

Crickets chirped deep in the woods, and the moon gleamed like a beacon as Leah led the way through knee high underbrush and giant trees toward Cynder Hall. It looked far bigger than she'd imagined; dark, foreboding, and empty. I hope. There had been a lot of chatter and joking around earlier, but now the group of high schoolers following her whispered quietly as they surveyed the mansion ahead, flashlight beams lighting up the place.

"Last chance to change your mind," the guy who'd given her a ride breathed, staring up at it in awe.

The group came to a stop a good hundred meters from the massive front porch with it's aged white pillars. Leah gazed up at it too, and nearly passed out from a rush of overwhelming terror. Oh god . . . I can't do this . . . No. Calm down. Breathe. In, snap some pics, out.

Leah's gaze hardened. "I won't be long."

"Don't forget to take good quality shots," someone spoke up. "No one'll believe you went in without it!"

There were a few murmurs of agreement, as well as the sound of someone vomiting. Disgusted, Leah turned toward the mansion.

"Wait! Wait." A boy who looked like he could be a freshman stumbled up to her, clearly drunk. He grinned stupidly and held out his hand. "Take this in."

Repelled by the stench he gave off, Leah wrinkled her nose and leaned away. "Ugh . . . what is it?"

"Prot . . . proctession," he whispered loudly as if telling her a cherished secret, placing it in her palm. "Proctession from-hic-evil."

Leah looked at the object dubiously; a black cross on a silver chain. "This thing?"

The boy gave a dreamy smile and exaggerated nod before flopping over backward, unconcious. Leah looked down at him, then back at the cross. Eh, well. Can't hurt I guess. She slipped the necklace over her head and again turned to the mansion. One step after another took her closer to the tall double doors that looked eerily similar to the ones in her nightmares. Only these doors were real, and the knockers had no faces.

Every part of her was shaking as she approached the ivy-shrowded steps. The mansion towered over her, windows dark, and among the blur of frantic thoughts spinning around in her head, Leah noted that it was actually kind of beautiful in a dismal, deteriorating sort of way.

A cool breeze picked up as she slowly ascended the steps, causing her long hair to swirl around her and raising goosebumps on her arms. She glanced back at the others, hoping she didn't look as deathly petrified as she felt. They were watching her intently. Most had their phones out, recording every moment.

Wiping sweaty hands on her jeans, Leah climbed the rest of the way up the steps to the once grand porch. Her heart was pounding so hard she thought it might burst out of her chest. Her boots crossed the wide worn boards to the doors, knees weak. She clutched her phone with one hand, aiming its light straight ahead, and with the other hand reached toward one brass door knob.

It seemed like time and space held their breath as Leah's trembling, ice-cold fingers hovered centimeters from the dark metal. And that's when a haunting scream from beyond filled the air. Wide-eyed, Leah jerked her hand away as if she'd been burned, and stumbled backward down the steps. Oh shit. I'm dead.

Everyone still conscious let loose shouts of terror as they turned and ran back down the old driveway as fast as they could. Leah stood frozen at the base of the steps.

"Leah! Come on!" Someone behind her screeched. "Get away from there!"

The distant screaming continued, but while it was incoherent, Leah could swear they were cries for help, and it didn't sound like they were coming from inside the mansion. Adrenaline raging, her legs sprang into action. Someone was in desperate need of help, and she was going to assist regardless of who--or what--it was.

She ran the length of the mansion and dived into the tangle of woods, her phone lighting her way around the side. Are those shadows moving? Why is it suddenly so cold? Was that a face in the window?! God please don't let me be killed by anything---

Leah tripped and went sprawling, but was back up sprinting almost instantly, terror giving her reflexes a boost. She ran along the side of the building to the back, gasping as she paused to shine her light around the backyard. She saw nothing but woods.

The screaming was now reduced to sobs and wails, and while they seemed closer, they were definately not coming from the mansion. Leah ran in the direction of the sounds, weaving around trees, bushes, and thick weeds. Her ribs started to cramp as she gasped for breath, but she was too afraid to slow down.

Before long she saw something familiar; the remains of stone walls. The gardens. Leah leaped over a low portion of one wall and began shining her light everywhere. "Hello! Who's out here? Anyone need help?"

More sobbing came from ahead. Leah dashed across the dead vegetable and flower beds through several maze-like hedges until she burst into another garden. There lying on the ground against a portion of the wall was an unconscious Jade in a white dress splattered heavily with gore. Beside her was one of her wannabe friends, crying. A large flashlight rested a few feet away, shining a bright beam toward the old fountain at the far end of the garden.

Leah rushed over to them, stomach in her mouth. "Oh my god . . ." Shaking uncontrollably, she knelt down and checked Jade's pulse and breathing. Both seemed normal. "She's alive." Leah turned to the other girl, who was clutching Jade's arm for dear life. "What are you guys doing back here?"

"W-we . . . We were going to--" the girl's words came out in gasping sobs, her eyes wide in absolute horror, "go into the . . . the mansion the back way and . . . j-jump out at-at you--" she squeezed her eyes shut, tears streaming down her face as her lips trembled.

Leah wrenched the girl's hands off Jade's arm and gave her the phone. "Take this. Hold it up." Turning to Jade's limp form, Leah grabbed the girl and swung her over her shoulder with adrenaline-aided strength. Holding Jade tightly with one arm, she took the phone back. "C'mon, let's get out of here." As fast as she could under the weight, Leah hurried back the way she came, the sobbing girl sticking directly beside her.

Every muscle in her body strained, but she didn't feel the burn until they burst out of the Cynder Hall gates. All the cars that had been along the road were gone, except one belonging undoubtedly to the kid passed out in the driveway.

"Get in the car!" Leah winced, groaning at the pain spreading through her back and legs. She practically dumped Jade into the back seat. Jade's friend scrambled in practically on top of her. Leah then ran back down the driveway and with a great deal of effort, half carried and half dragged the owner of the car to the vehicle and dumped him in the passenger seat.

After fishing the keys out of his pocket, Leah jumped into the driver's seat, started it up, and stomped on the gas. Doors slammed as the car screeched away down the road, leaving the mansion in darkness and silence once more.

"What happened?" Leah demanded shrilly, eyes wide as she sped down the road. "Tell me what happened!"

Jade's friend was still crying hysterically. "There was b-bodies in the fountain! So much dead bodies! Then something grabbed Jade and threw her . . . Threw her like a rag doll against the wall!"

Her horrified gaze met Leah's in the rearview mirror. You were warned. Ovver and over. Leah gritted her teeth.
This isn't my fucking fault! If she hadn't been so damn set on showing me up . . . Her eyes filled as they sped onto the main road. Oh god; if she dies it's on me.

*to be cont*