Chapter Nine

Leah spent the majority of fall break in her room dancing, watching movies with Jacey, or helping Julian clean and decorate the house for Halloween. The rest of the time she slept or lay in bed on her phone. Tiara and Jeremy seemed concerned about her, despite her informing them she was sleeping a little better and was able to keep down light meals. But as the week drew to a close it was obvious what an anxious wreck she'd become.

The comb Eric had given her was her way out. It was a foolproof plan--she hoped. But it was a plan she hadn't told either of her friends yet, and the stress of keeping it from them was taking a heavy toll. She was worried about how they'd take it, especially Jeremy.

The day before the party she refused to get out of bed or eat until Julian forced her to devour some kind of stew and bread for dinner. She didn't touch her phone either, letting all texts and calls go unanswered.
On Saturday morning Leah remained upstairs, planning to avoid the day for as long as possible. That is until Dad came upstairs looking for her.

"Leah?"

She paused the Royal Ballet video she was watching on YouTube. "Hm."

Dad pulled her desk chair over to the bed and sat down. "I think we need to talk. I'm . . . worried about you." He cleared his throat. "Julian told me you haven't been eating much, and you've been very quiet and distant." He gave a wry smile. "She even said she actually prefers all your complaining and arguing."

Leah sighed and put her phone down. "I'm fine. Just been stressed out lately."

Dad nodded, running a hand over her hair. "Stuff going on at school?"

"You could say that."

"I'm sorry, Leah." He paused. "Maybe . . . maybe I've been too hard on you lately. Been so busy with work and settling in here, I just . . ."

Leah blinked up at him, surprised. Dad had never tried to apologize to her before.

"Forgot how hard adjusting to all this must be for you," he finished awkwardly.

"It's fine, Dad."

"No, it isn't." He fiddled with his hands. "You've sacrificed a lot for this family over the years, especially helping to bring Jacey up and . . . I lost sight of-"

Leah sat up, giving a chuckle. "Dad, stop. You're going to hurt yourself." She gave him a hug.

Dad hugged her back ruefully. "I never was good with words, was I."

"No, that was Mom's thing."

He smiled at her. "You are so much like her."

"I wish." She pulled her hair back in a high ponytail. "Especially Mom's hair. Don't know where this shade of red came from. It sucks."

Dad tweeked her nose. "Well I think it's beautiful."

Leah's phone rang. She glanced at the caller I.D. and saw it was Tiara. She groaned. That's the third time she's called.

"I'll let you get that." Dad stood, then picked up the pearl hair comb off her side table. Her heart skipped a beat.

"Wow, what's this?"

"Um . . . It's a present. For a girl from school. She's, uh, having a birthday party tonight."

"Yeah?" He turned it around curiously. "Looks kind of old."

Leah floundered for a believable explanation. "She's super into antiques. I ordered it online." What teenage girl is into antiques, you idiot?!

Dad cocked his head, then shrugged, putting the comb back. "Hope she likes it."

Leah waited until she heard him go downstairs, then called Tiara back.

"What the hell, Leah! I've been trying to reach you forever! What happened? Jeremy's been freaking out--"

"Tiara."

"What?!"

Leah hesitated, then gripped the phone in determination. "You have a car, right?"

Tiara sounded puzzled. "Uh, yeah, but what's that got to do with--"

"I need you to meet me at Target. And don't tell Jeremy. He'll just freak out more."

". . . Please tell me you aren't planning what I think you're planning."

Leah looked at herself in the vanity mirror and steeled her gaze. "We got a party to throw tonight."

**********

"You're really going to go through with this?" Tiara asked nervously for like the tenth time.

They were at the park setting up Halloween-themed decorations. Leah stood on a picnic table, hanging up streamers on the edge of the pavilion. "Yes."

She was working on hanging a battery operated chandelier with skulls on it from the center of the pavilion. "I thought we all agreed this was stupidly insane." Her phone buzzed. "It's Jeremy."

"What's he want?"

"He says you haven't been answering his texts or calls." She gave her friend a sour look. "Wants to know if I've heard from you."

"Ignore him for now. We gotta hurry up, we have-" she glanced at Tiara's phone, "four hours to get everything ready." She smiled slightly. "Imagine Jade's face when she shows up and sees I really did throw a party. And a damn good one at that."

Tiara shook her head. "Alright but . . ." She climbed down off the table she stood on. "This feels wrong, especially keeping Jeremy in the dark. He legit cares about you, y'know. You should at least message him or something-"

"Jeremy is not my boyfriend and I have no obligation to let him know every little thing I'm up to."

"Well, at least promise you won't go into Cynder Hall. Please, Leah."

She finished hanging up the last of the streamers and glanced down at him. She jumped down to the bench, then the ground. "Why would I risk my life a second time?"

"A second time?"

"As far as they know, yes." Leah went to their pile of decorations and grabbed a bag full of black glittery spiders, skulls, bats, and ravens.

"But you haven't, right?"

Leah struggled to open the bag. "Nope. Just have to say I did."

Tiara handed her a pair of scissors. "I'm guessing you got something to prove it?"

With a grin, Leah set the bag and scissors aside to pull out the comb.

"A hairpin?"

"It's a genuine nineteenth century hair comb."

"Oh wow. That must have cost a fortune." Tiara touched the comb, looking uncertain. "Sounds risky to me, but hey. It's your party and you can lie if you want to."

"Nice." Leah cut open the bag and tossed her a sparkly black bat. "Just hope Jade and the others buy it."

Tiara's phone buzzed again. "Jeremy's going to be so pissed you went ahead with this."

"He can yell at me on Monday."

"If you survive tonight," Tiara mumbled.

*to be cont*