Chapter Five

Toward the end of the month, Leah was settling into routine nicely. Tiara and Jeremy had made themselves her permanent companions and were fast becoming close friends, something Leah hadn't experienced before as an introvert.

It was nice, except for the fact that Jeremy was one of the most popular seniors in school. He attracted a lot of attention, which meant that Leah and Tiara were also on the recieving end of a lot of attention. Tiara had been pretty popular at her old school and soaked it all in with grace, but Leah felt smothered.

She found herself constantly avoiding everyone at times just for some relaxing solitude. But it was a relatively small school and nearly impossible to be invisible for very long, epecially with a rival like Jade.

The model simply would not leave Leah alone. She and her wannabes never missed an opportunity to mess with, humiliate, or scorn her. So Leah wasn't surprised one fine September day to suddenly get a bowl of chili dumped on her head during lunch period.

"Oh god, I am so sorry," Jade said sweetly, mock horror on her face as she righted her tray. "Like so, so sorry. I tripped, and . . . I really need to work on walking in these new heels."

Tiara and Jeremy were frozen, gaping at the mess. Students nearby gawked, then hid whispers and laughter behind their hands. Leah just sat there motionless as hamburger and bean slop slid down the back of her neck.

"Look at the bright side," the queen of horrors said sweetly, pretending to pat Leah's chili-caked hair. "At least it blends in."

She walked away smugly as ripples of muffled laughter went through the tables. Tiara jolted out of her shock and sprang out of her seat, furious.

"Freaking jerk, you did that on purpose!"

Leah caught her arm. "Not here."

Tiara fumed, then grabbed her hand. "Let's go. C'mon, we gotta clean you up. Jeremy, watch our stuff."

Leah allowed herself to be led to the restroom where the girls spent the remainder of lunch period washing her shirt and hair. Even after they scrubbed both thoroughly with hand soap, the blue blouse had a massive dark spot on the back and her hair smelled of spicy tomatoes.

Jeremy was waiting for them when they came out of the bathroom. "You good?"

"It was chili. I'm fine."

"We cannot let Jade get away with this," Tiara ranted, still trying to dry the back of Leah's shirt with paper towels.

"I can talk to her," Jeremy offered, handing them their backpacks. "Maybe if it comes from me she'll--"

"Come down on me even worse," Leah cut in. "Thanks, but let me deal with her, okay?" She left them standing there and headed for calculus. Why didn't I just give her the freaking desk first day . . .

********

No longer grounded, Leah was able to drive over to the Diamondhead library after school that Friday afternoon. It was cool, quiet, and practically empty inside. Leah was surprised at how dated it was. There wasn't even any computers. She went up to the front desk where the librarian, a bald black man who looked close to eighty, was dozing.

"Excuse me."

With effort, the man looked up and peered curiously at her through very thick glasses. "Well howdy-do, little lady." His southern accent was so heavy she could barely understand him.

"Hello. Um, I'm doing some research and was wondering if you have any old newspapers?"

"Newspapers? Sure, we got some over in the newspaper archives." He leaned forward and slowly stood, then shuffled around the counter. "We got newspapers that go all the way back to the civil war," the man declared proudly, as if he'd collected them over the century himself.