15

On the sixth of January, we got some snow, late Christmas cards, and it was Sherlock's birthday. Apparantly, some of the Christmas post has been delayed because they were checking it for invisible ink. In amongst the cards were some from people that I'd been around before. One from my mum and stepdad and siblings, one each from stepuncles, and several from old friends, who, really, I should have contacted more often.

The sixth of January was also the first day of rationing. Well, at least they'd had the consideration to wait until after Christmas. Anyway, we still had a few mince pies left.

I sent Sherlock a happy birthday text- Mycroft had given me his phone number a while ago, but I hadn't known what to do with it. I didn't get a reply for a few days until he sent, 'Definitely was, I had an excellent murder case.'

"So, what does the horse do?"

"It's a knight, Toby, and it goes two spaces either to the side or forwards, then one perpendicular to that. Or one then two spaces. Why were you on the bus recently?"

"Went to see a cousin who lives a few miles away. How did you know?

"The fibres on your jacket. Train seats are usually worn hard, so the fibres don't come off."

"Right."

"And you- Why did you have a doughnut for breakfast?"

"Rationing. I was hungry."

"Ah, okay, shall we get on with the game?"

"I'm shit at chess."

"You are. That's why we're doing this. So you improve."

"Yeah, alright. Remind me what castling is again?"

I sighed.

I started to slowly turn over my Chemistry test, then all of a sudden, flipped it over quickly. 98℅. Cool, pretty good. I only lost one mark.

"What'd Mr. Clever get then?" asked toby, leaning over me. He whistled. "And I got a measly 72℅. Your uncle'll be pleased."

"Yeah, whatever. "Black

"You alright? "

"Just thinking."

"'Bout what? "

"Nothing."

"Nothing? "

"Shut up, everything then."