Chapter 12

You ain't nothing but a hound dog, crying all the time, you ain't nothing but a hound dog, crying all the time, well, you ain't never caught a rabbit, and you ain't no friend of mine

Elvis is booming through through the speakers at Pop's and we are slammed because church has let out and everyone is trying to get brunch. The smells of bacon grease and coffee fill the air and Sasha and I are shuffling from table to table serving everyone and cleaning what's left behind. It's been a few days since I've heard from Chuck and honestly, I'm all for the distraction. I picked up more shifts and have been working 12 hours a day, consumed with burgers, fries and milkshakes, each day Chuck slowly easing out of my mind and the pain in my chest lessening along with it.  I am determined to not cry or remotely get upset because I knew better. I knew better than to get involved with somebody and get my heartbroken again. Didn't I learn from last time?

"Serenaaaaaaaa" Sasha sings my name loud enough for me to hear her on the other side of the restaurant.

"What's up," I say approaching her and watching her gaze.

I follow her to whats outside the window and I see two 19/20 yrs old looking guys walking in with Riverdale high school letterman jackets. One of the guys have flaming red hair like Cheryl Blossom, muscular with I assume a six pack to match and the other guy was Asian with jet black hair, a chiseled jaw and nice full lips to match. I have seen them before as they come into Pop's all the time and they always get milkshakes with their food. I start wiping tables down getting ready for those two to come in and take their seats. As soon as they sit in a booth, I approach them to take their orders.

"Welcome to Pop's, what can I get you guys?" I greet them pad and pen in hand.

"Your number," the Asian one says smoothly as looks at me up and down like I'm his meal and its making me blush.

"Stop it Reggie," the red haired guy says rolling his eyes. "Can I get a bacon cheeseburger with onion rings please? I'm Archie by the way."

"Thanks Archie," pausing after I say his name. "You're dad wouldn't happen to own Andrews Construction would be?"

"Yeah he does," Archie says nonchalantly. "How do you know him?"

"My dad Regis used to work for him, you know before he got shut down during that time of Jason Blossom's murder."

"Oh yeah, I remember Regis," Archie exclaims. "He was a great guy. I'm sorry to hear about his passing. That sucked."

"Thanks," I answer slowly trying to keep my emotions in order. "I remember seeing you at his funeral. It was much appreciated."

"Yeah I remember my dad speaking with your mom. If you need any—"

"Jeez Archie when can I order my food," Reggie exclaims rubbing his stomach. I notice that he's fit as well and Reggie notices my gaze and smirks.

"I'm sorry... Reggie right? What can I get you?"

"What do you recommend?" Reggie asks looking at the money.

"Well I'm a mushroom and swiss onion girl myself," I mention pointing at the picture on the menu of the burger.

"Well I'll get that then gorgeous," Reggie winks at me and I blush once more.

I practically speed walk away from the table and hand the order to the cooks. I stand there for a bit glancing around the restaurant to see if anything needs to be done. I go to the back to start some early counting for inventory when I hear loud noises coming in from the front. I look towards the door and I almost drop my pad and pen. Chuck walked through the door and greets  Archie and Reggie with fist pumps and loud talk. Of course he knows them. They all probably went to high school together, played football together and live in nice houses with their rich girlfriends. I don't know what I was thinking that I could possibly have something with Chuck. Once again, I should have known better.

DING!

The cooks are done with Reggie and Archie's order and I walk over, grab their food to put on a tray and I head over to their booth. I glance at Chuck and he looks at me with his face a little pale and I shake my head handing the food to Reggie and Archie. I feel myself getting angry all over again and I try to make myself scarce, or at least away from this booth.

"Uh Serena?" Reggie says looking at my name tag. "You forget something?"

"Really?!" I exclaim. "Whats that?"

"Your number," Reggie says smoothly, leaning back into the booth, flashing his perfect white teeth and showing off his deep dimples.

I notice Chuck give him an evil glare and I begin to laugh and walk away before I say something or do something I regret, like actually give him my number. I must say I feel good that Chuck is jealous of Reggie flirting me, as it serves him right for how he treated me. That moment of satisfaction quickly goes away as I see Chuck getting up from the booth and walking towards me. I start fumbling with my fingers and walk behind the counter.

"Serena, hey," Chuck says softly.

"Hello," I answer informally, making extra care that I don't look in his eyes.

"Can you talk to me please? Hear me out?" Chuck pleads with his voice low.

"Why are you talking so low? Are you afraid that your friends with find out you have something going on with the waitress at Pop's?" I snap.

"Come on Serena. It's not even like that. I just want to have a chance to explain myself and to hear me out. I've been trying to give you space all this time but I miss you honestly and I want to be back in your good graces. Can you give me that please?" Chuck begs grasping his hands together as he's praying.

I look into his eyes and I feel like he genuinely wants to work things out with me. My heart beats a little faster and I feel like the cool air was sucked out of the place as I think this through. My mind is telling me I know better but my heart is telling me I miss him and to hear him out. Taking a deep breath, I grab some napkins and walk from behind the counter. I begin to walk away from him but I turn around and face him.

"Meet me at my house after work tonight," I say slowly looking at the ground. "This will be your only chance."

"Okay," Chuck nods.

I look over his shoulder and see Archie staring at me. He looks away as I notice him and I put the napkins on a table and run into the bathroom, letting 4 day repressed tears fall from my face. I guess my heart won.