What Meditation is Not

It's also important to know what is not meditation. Meditation should not be considered a quick or easy way to find answers. It can be months or years before this practice bears any insights about yourself. Because the focus and contemplation is on one object at a time, that means that meditation is NOT about visualizations, daydreaming, or allowing your imagination to take control. If you see yourself running through the woods as an animal, then you are not meditating properly or in a way that will help you get unbiased answers about yourself. I will explain this in more detail later. 

I think a lot of this new-agey meditation where you listen to music and visualize can make you feel good, but you are only seeing what you want to see instead of making neutral examinations that will guide you to more reliable answers.

Meditation is not for the purpose of triggering shifts. Don't go into meditation thinking about the shift to force it to happen. This might not be a true shift. You want shifts to occur naturally and involuntarily without thinking about them. If a shift happens naturally, then you can focus on this genuine experience. You might notice that a natural shift is different from one that was forced.