What is Meditation?

"Meditation refers to the mental activity of sustaining clear awareness on one thing: a physical sensation, perception, concept, process or material object." ("What is Buddhism" 2017 by Ajahn Chandako) This helps to train the mind and can provide insights about the self. Meditation is calming and helps quiet the mind so that we can practice on focus and mindfulness. Meditation is a time to observe yourself, the body, feelings, mental state, emotions and therianthropic shifts in a neutral way without excitement, anger, fear, or being judgmental. It can help to centre us and ground us. Mindfulness and meditation are both about being fully in the current moment, not thinking about the past or the future. This is why meditation can help with depression and anxiety, even if it doesn't help you with Therianthropy.

During meditation, you are not supposed to take ownership of any emotions or sensations. Acknowledge them, but don't hold onto them. Let them go. This helps the examination of objects or phenomena to remain neutral. I was told that if meditation feels like work and is not calming then other preliminary steps need to be taken to prepare the mind and body. Meditation does take practice and dedication, so don't get discouraged if it takes several tries to quiet and calm the mind. Buddhist Monks make it their entire life to hone meditation skills.

Meditation can be just a mental exercise. Anyone can practice. You don't need to be spiritual or follow Buddhism to utilize these techniques. This practice can be used by both spiritual and psychological Therianthropes/Otherkin. Meditation might not be easy for everyone in the beginning. However, if meditation is not helping you, that's okay. It's not the only way to learn about yourself and Therianthropy. Meditation is not a requirement, and being able to do this doesn't make you a Therianthrope.